Chapter 6

Bella's P.O.V

October 24, 1941...

I did my best trying to hide behind the coverall but the material was pure white lace so my bikini - that my sister forced me to wear - was visible. I place my hair over my shoulders, at least it will cover the top of my chest. I should just stay home, I'm not in the mood for the beach.

"Izzy, we have to go!" Alice called from the outside of the bathroom.

I sigh and open the bathroom door. At least the beach is just across the street from our home. Alice made plans with Jasper and everyone else to go to the beach. I just love the fact that my sister did all of this without letting me know and the fact that I had no other choice but to go.

We walked across the street where Jasper and Emmett are now waiting for us with food and drinks. They wave at us as we cross the street before the stop light turns green.

"Hello, girls!" Jasper greeted us. "I hope you all don't mind but I invited someone else."

We looked at the person approaching us. It was Mr. Cullen, who didn't look surprised when he saw me standing there in my bikini. I try to cover myself when his eyes land on me, slowly roaming down my body. I can't help to feel disgusted when I notice his stare.

"Oh, not at all," Rosalie said. "Bella will have someone to chat with."

I roll my eyes, gripping my book to my chest and walk off toward the beach. They all soon catch up to me and we all set up our little spot with towels to sit on, shade and our food and beverages. Before we all ate, Jasper said it would be better to just enjoy the water before eating.

Alice asked me to join but I prefer to sit aside and finish my book. I'm just five chapters away from finishing Wuthering Heights.

"Do you not know how to swim?" Mr. Cullen asked as everyone made their way to the water.

I hated to admit it, but it was true. "Well, we didn't grow by a pool and we certainly were not allowed out," I said without looking at him.

"Really? You're sister seems to be doing fine," he replied. "It's all about practice."

"My sister is a fast learner," I replied back. I look up at him, finding him looking at me. "Do you swim?"

He nods, looking out at the beach. "I enjoy more to look at it other than be in it. After all, it's the only thing the separates us from the war that's going on at the other side."

"Yes, but that doesn't really much involve us," I said. "I mean, we're helping as much as we can giving them everything they need, even soldiers as long as they don't involve us, I believe."

He looks back at me. "It's only a matter of time before we do something that pisses off the Axis Powers, Isabella. Once that happens, they will be no turning back."

I sigh. "I do not believe that. This war will soon be over, I'm sure and after it is, we all get to go home." We sat there in silence. A very awkward silence that made me chuckle. "And now we shall remain silent."

He looked at me. "I do not have the talent of conversing easily with people I'm not very well acquainted with."

I smile and look up at him. "Perhaps you should take your own advice and practice."

He nodded again and looked back at the beach. We sat there in silence for a long time, just watching how everyone else had fun in the water. Not much later Jessica joined us to annoy Mr. Cullen a little more with her useless flirting skills.

Mr. Cullen did not give the slightest attempt to be nice to her tries, even he would often make fun of what she said. That didn't seem to stop Jessica from continuing to try. I sometimes admire her insistence.