Chapter 37

Edward's P.O.V

Jasper leans closer to the window and whispers, "Edward, please don't do something stupid. You can't..." he looks over his shoulder to make sure no one is close enough to hear him and turns back to me. "You can't try to escape when we're so close to proving you're innocent. You try to escape and get caught, forget about it, you'll never be there to see your baby born and grow. Then Bella will truly be alone."

I sigh. "And when that be? Huh? Four more months? Six? A year? When will I see my wife and child? You don't get it, Jasper. You leave, walk out these doors and see your wife and daughter,  they'll always be there. And me? I'm here with no fucking idea what's gonna to my family."

Jasper nods. "I understand, trust me I do. But she isn't alone right now. Your family will always look after her, even I. Please, don't complicate things. Please."

I look down at the first picture I've ever seen of my child. This shouldn't have been the first time I see it, not when Bella is reaching the end of her pregnancy. I should have been there from day one, held her hand, smiled at her and kissed her the moment the doctor told us we were having a healthy baby. I should be there to watch her body start to change, watch her stomach swell with every week that goes by. I should be there to hear the heartbeat, feel him move from inside her and smile at her and thank her for everything. For saving me. 

I shouldn't be here. Things were not meant to be like this. If there's any possibility of me leaving this hell hole is if Mr. Swan dropped all charges and knowing that man, I'll be out by the time my child turns eighteen. I look at Jasper, who is looking back at me with pleading eyes for me not to do anything stupid and sigh.

"My cellmate is helping me with this," I whisper. "He has been planning the whole escape plan for almost a whole year and it'll work for the both of us. However, I'll talk to him and hold it off two days. Just two days, Jasper."

He nods. "What do you want me to do in the time span of two days?"

"Either get Charlie Swan to drop all charges on me or get him here. If I'm not free in two days or I do not see him sitting across from me then I will do it, Jasper. I can't stay away from my family any longer." Jasper nods, biting his lower lip. "You have to help me, Jasper. I need you now more than ever."

Jasper nods again. "I will, Edward. Don't worry."

Jasper's P.O.V

I left the prison with a head full of a tight-spiraling thoughts. Edward is planning on escaping the prison, which is the last thing we need him to do. He is getting out of control, this whole thing about him being away from his pregnant wife because of a controlling father in law and a crazy godmother. It's all getting to him. I get it, I would go completely crazy if I was away from my Marie. Alice and I... we are not on the best of terms ever since she did what she did, but I love her and I can't live without her either.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Edward is the brother I never had, he has been there for me in moments where not even my own family would stand up for me. He was there to step up to my abusive father, supported me when we enlisted and has been there every step of the way. Yes, he did wrong when he persuaded me that Alice was only in love with me because of the financial stability and allow him to convince me to volunteer to be part of the troops sent to the middle east. Yes, it was wrong and yes, I probably should have made my own decisions and not allowed it to go that far, but at the end of the day, he was trying to do it for my own benefit.

I would give my life for him, he is my brother. It's more difficult than it is and he is certainly not making it any easier.

When I walk in my home, Marie starts crawling her way toward me from the couch. I bend over and take her in my arms. She has the biggest smile on her face, smile that matches her mother's. Yes, Marie has the entire face of her mother. Every little thing about her is Alice. Her expression, her personality and her little beautiful smile. She only has my eye color. I kiss the top of her head and look up at Alice, who looks at me with a sad smile on her face.