Chapter 43

Bella's P.O.V

This is not how I thought our first year of marriage would go. Not slightly close. When I first thought about being married to Edward, I thought about us being in our home back in Harbor. The same home where I lived on my own for the last four months of my pregnancy. I thought about our first child's arrival, with him in the same room as me and holding my hand as I delivered our daughter. Not him fighting for his life on the floor above me. Not this way.

Belle is all Edward. I run my finger down her soft cheek, up and down, softly stroking her peachy skin. She has his bronze full set of hair and her little lips are red, like mine. I grab her little hand in mine and kiss each and every single of her small fingers. They grasp around my finger. She has quite the grasp. I chuckle through my tears, stroking her small hand with my thumb.

"Daddy is going to be okay," I tell her. "He'll come back to us."

I kiss her little head and rock in my arms. I haven't heard word from Edward's doctors. I don't know if he's okay, if his life is still threatened or if there's still any hope to hold onto. I know Marcus is okay. He lost a lot of blood but he was good to move around ever since last night. He rolled in my room in a wheel chair and held his niece.

His niece... I still can't believe that Edward and him and half brothers. He told me the whole story, just like Edward told him. When I asked him how did Edward find out about the origin of this feud our families had with the Cullen's, he just shrugged and said Edward never mentioned. Carlisle, Esme, Diana and Seth all flew up when word came out about the attack. Of course, they scorn me about it and I'm grounded until further notice. I also apologized to Jason for bringing him right into No Mans Land.

"Don't worry about it. You were scared for your husband, I understand. I wish I could have been more help than I was."

I chuckle. "You were enough help."

He flew back home a couple hours ago, only after he made me promise Belle and I will visit him when we came back.

My family has come to see me, but I don't know if I'm ready for it. It is because of my father's hate that all this happened and Alice's small contribution to get Jasper out of jail did not help as well. Jasper has been the only one who I have allowed to see Belle. That's what leads me where, with Belle in my arms and Jasper sitting across from me with a sad smile on his face.

"Have you seen him?" I ask.

"No. There are two police officers outside his room."

I sigh and close my eyes. That's nothing but bad. When I open them I look down at Belle. Will she ever grow up to know her father?

"I have talked to his doctor. They say he'll survive."

I look up again. "What happens now?"

"Well, Madam Sofía is sticking to the story that Edward came in and attacked them. But Marcus is contradicting her statement. He has told the police everything, including that they staged the whole attempt of murder against Charlie."

I sit up. "And do they believe him?"

"There's an open investigation. The only thing right now is for your father to tell the truth."

That's where my hope dies. "Yeah, my father will definitely testify in Edward's favor."

"You never know."