Chapter 41

Edward's P.O.V

I wait on the bench, not so patiently since as of two days ago, I'm a fugitive. My face is all over town, all over the news and newspapers. They found our escape rout, but Jasper was smart enough to find a way for us not to leave any tracks. What that basically means is that the police is chasing their tails while I master a plan to gain my own freedom as well as Marvin. There is no way that I'm fleeing for the rest of my life.

It's an early morning, people are just beginning to rise and begin their day, oblivious of the fugitive that's sitting on the bench in a park. Suddenly, there's two honks coming from the east side of the park. Just in time. I stand up and with my head down, I walk over to the silver car. I climb in and look over at Marcus, who nods once and takes off down the street.

"I shouldn't be doing this," he said as he drove.

"You're still doing it," I reply.

"Yeah, but that's because your story has only the fifty fifty percent chance of being valid. What's gonna happen, anyway, when we confront my mother? What will happen?"

"You have a niece on the way," I say, looking at our surroundings as we drive through town. "Think of the chances they have if I'm not with them and how fucked up this whole situation is. Bella doesn't deserve this."

Marcus sighs. "She does not. No one does... I just can't help it feel like I'm doing something wrong."

"She's your mother, you'll be setting her off. I'd be surprised if you didn't feel as if you're doing something wrong."

It's been a few days since I last talked to Jasper, that means I have no idea what the family is saying now that my face appears at a national level. By now I'm sure Bella knows I'm out. My only hope is that she'll understand when we meet again. But right now, my goal is to make it to Madam Sofia. It was shortly after I left the prison that I met with Marcus, or when I randomly appeared in front of him after stalking him for an entire day. He was close to shouting but I managed to persuade him that I wasn't going to hurt him and that I only wanted to talk with him.

I retold the story Charlie told me, remembering every single detail as I have been going through it millions of times after he told me. He was shocked but what helped was the dates matched and it was somewhat linked to what his mother had previous told him. We, or more like I, am not interested in starting a whole brotherly bond with him. What matters to me is that he helps me fix this mess and he has willingly agreed to, no one can say that I forced him. 

"She won't be home until mid day and even after that, she'll be busy with some paperwork before we even have the chance to corner her. You can stay in my room, she never goes in there and when I come back for you, we'll go and hopefully peacefully talk things through with her without any major consequences."

"You're not hiding me in your closet, are you?"

He rolls his eyes. "Please, it's not like we're five and I'm stuffing you in the closet."

"No brother reference, please."

"Whatever."

We arrive at his place. I wait until the garage door is completely closed to get out of the car. Their home almost gives me the creeps with how cold and organized it is. The dinning table is only big enough for two people. Their living room is surrounded by stands filled with creepy porcelain dolls that all stare at the center of the living room.

"How can you stand being in this room?" I ask.

"Trust me, sometimes it feels like they're following me with their eyes," he said. "Come on, I'll lead you to my room."