Chapter 28

Edward's P.O.V

Richard leads me to the back of the shop, which just happened to be his leaving me room and set down down on his couch. The fireplace was on, the heat is very much welcomed when I sit down. So much that I crawl off the couch and scoot closer to the fire. I raise my hands in front of me, warming them up with the heat and rubbing them against each other. My head is banging really hard to the point where my temples are stinging.

Richard comes into my view with a cup in his hands and hands it over to me.

"It's green tea. This will help you," he said and reached over to grab some pills from the counter. "And this is some painkillers."

"Thank you." I pop the pills and drink from the tea he offered. It tastes horrible and my taste bugs immediately hate me as soon as I swallow, but it's warm so it's worth it.

Richard sits down on the couch beside me and leans over his knees.

"What happened to you, boy?" He asks, taking a mug from the coffee table and drinks from it. He places it back down on the table and looks at me, waiting for my answer.

I place my mug on the coffee table beside his.

"The last thing I remember is coming out of the hospital. I've gone there to talk to my sister-in-law's doctor to schedule an appointment for my wife," I say. Just thinking about my Bella makes my urge to kill her father even worse. "She recently told me she's pregnant... She was so terrified of telling me."

"Why?"

"Because she knew children were not in my plans, at least not now. But I was ready to embrace it, do whatever it took for her to be comfortable... But then I walk out of the hospital and next thing I know, some men attack me. When I woke up, I was tied up and kept in a room by three men whose faces I couldn't see."

"How did you escape?"

I smile. "I outsmarted one of them, managed to escape. Then I walked for almost two days before I found your shop."

Richard shakes his head. "Do you have any idea who could be behind all this?"

"Yes," I say, glaring down at the fireplace. My anger began rising all over again. "And trust me, I don't care what my wife says, I'll make the police take that man and make him pay for what he did. If I hadn't escaped, my best guess is that they would have killed me and my child would have grown up without a father and my wife would go through it without me by her side. I don't care if he's her father, we're never seeing them again."

"Her father?" Richard laughs. "Boy, what the hell did you do to him?"

I shrug. "I'm richer than him. Well, I come from a rich family and he's the kind of man who hates where I come from."

"Oh, I see," Richard says, nodding his head. "He's the kind of humble man that thinks the rich are snobs and the poor are the humble. Bet he wanted his daughter marry a humble man other than a confident one that could give her a steady lifestyle."

I nod. "And perhaps one that follows his actions. He locked them up in his house, away from being social and having a life just because they weren't born male. I don't know why Bella insists on letting him be part of her life. But, believe me when I say this, after this little act, there is no way in hell he'll be anywhere near us."

Richard sighs and takes the mug from the table. "Don't you think that perhaps you shouldn't have married her?" I give Richard a dirty look. He shrugs and drinks from his tea. "All I'm saying, your lifestyle is far too different from hers and if she's just a humble girl, all that shiny jewelry isn't what she wants and she won't be able to pretend that she's part of that lifestyle forever. You accustomed to all that, you wouldn't give it up either."