Chapter 28

Drake paced in front of the infirmary, never once stopping to think or rest. How could he when his brother was in there possibly dying. The Sprites and finally shown up at the end of the battle and were thankfully great healers. All they had told Drake and the others that he had a wound near his right lung and had lost a lot of blood and broker two ribs. Drake glanced over at Sarah, who was sitting in a chair with her head in between her legs. She had been muttering constantly about how 'everything was her fault.' And how she 'should've don't more to help him instead of playing the hero.' There were a few moments when Drake wanted to agree with her but where was he at the time? He was just fighting off a hellhound pack. Not saving his brother or defeating an Orc king. He noticed Gloria glance up at him a couple of times from besides Sarah, conflicted about who she should comfort. But he didn't want comfort now, he wanted news of his brother. Something. Anything at all except the thick silence that rested in the air.

Sarah's head snapped up as the door in front of them creaked open. A sprite flew out. She was the size of a human, only with pointed ears, a green tinge to her skin with delicate wings which looked a lot like a dragonflies wings. Sarah looked down and noticed her bare feet never once touched the ground. But that didn't matter. Nothing mattered expect, him.

"What's going on?" Drake asked, his voice catching slightly in his throat. The sprite looked down slightly before her light bell-like voice spoke sadly. "He is very weak and lost a lot of blood. It isn't certain whether or not he will make it, you should prepare yourself for the worst." Drake turned around and punched the nearest wall to him making Gloria and Sarah flinch. Gloria rushed up to help him while Sarah approached the sprite slowly. "Can I, may I see him?" The sprite looked at Sarah for a moment, studying her. "You are the human girl. He risked a lot with you. You may see him." She flew out of the way slightly so Sarah could walk through the door.

The room smelled of disinfectant. It reminded her of the time she had to visit her mother. She had to verify that the woman laying down, pale with no light in her eyes was her mother. She carried on walking, Sprites flying past her with various concoctions in bottles and bowls. Finally, she saw Jareth. He was laying on a bed of leaved with Sprites around him, their faces grim. They looked up at the sound of Sarah approaching. Her heart began to beat faster with tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"The,the sprite... Outside... She said I could... I could." She choked out, her eyes never leaving the goblin kings still body. They nodded as they floated out of the room, leaving Jareth and Sarah alone.

As soon as they were alone, the tears began to trickle slowly down her cheeks. She walked over to him slowly and sat down next to him on the bed, holding his hand gently. She brushed away a stray hair from his face, a tear falling from her cheek onto his face.

"Through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered. I have fought my way here to the castle, beyond the goblin city." She smiled slightly. Remembering what she had once said to get away from him.

"It's funny. The last time I wanted to take back my brother. Now all I want is you to wake up." She whispered, wiping her eyes dry. Sarah bent her head down so she was resting her forehead on his. "Please don't leave me." She closed her eyes and kissed his cold lips, hoping her fairy tale will end happily. But nothing changed. He didn't jump up and embrace her. He didn't even move. Sarah sighed and decided to leave the room. At the door way was the same Sprite who had let her in. Before she could pass the Sprite took her arm.

"You care for him." The Sprite told her.

"Have you not ever loved somone?" Sarah asked her. The Sprite sadly turned to her, waiting for the other healers to go in and tend to him.

"Our species is an all female species, we live to entrance the human world with love and lust. We are doomed to never love." Sarah rubbed her arm, as he had never felt so alone. "I am truly sorry." She told her. The Sprite waved her off, floating towards the dying King.

"We shall do everything we can." Sarah nodded and left the room her heart breaking into a million pieces. "He isn't going to make it." She muttered to Gloria and Lottie who had appeared next her. She pushed past them and Hoggle, Ludo and Dydimus who were walking towards them. She wanted to be alone to suffer.