Becoming Mrs Malfoy (Draco Malfoy)

I stood in front of the floor length mirror, staring at the reflection that it showed. The reflection that was supposed to be me and yet it looked nothing like me. The image that was reflected was that of a perfect pureblood daughter, the daughter of one of the most affluent and influential pureblood families in the wizarding world. My arms hang loosely at my side, idly fingering the fabric of my robes as the woman standing behind me, my mother, walked around me in a circle. Her eyes scanned over me from head to toe, in an almost predatory manner.

Stepping away from me, she scanned her eyes over me once again. She wasn't done yet. Staring, unblinking, at my reflection I briefly turned to glance over my shoulder as someone knocked on the bedroom door. Mother barely looked up from the stacks of heirlooms on my bed.

"Come in," she called out and I watched through the reflections as my brother, Blaise walked into the room carrying yet another jewellery box in his hand.

Walking straight over to mother he handed her the box and watched her open it. Her eyes scanned across the contents and she nodded in approval. Without giving Blaise another glance she turned back to assessing the jewellery, her eyes flickering frequently in my direction as if she expected to see some sign of the old, rebellious me. I remained standing still and noticed Blaise walk towards me until he stood behind me. Through the mirror I watched him tuck his hands into his pocket before he scanned me over. He shook his head. We could both see the internal and external changes that I'd gone through. There was no sign of the old me.

"You do know where we're going right?" Mother asked when she'd finally decided on the necklace that I would be wearing. She lifted it from the velvet box and walked towards me. Obediently I moved my hair out of the way as she clasped it around my neck.

Walking away from me she headed back to the bed to bring the matching earrings as I took my time to look carefully at the necklace. It was beautiful; the necklace that had been passed down from generation to generation. An antique collar.

"Of course," I said quietly as she handed me an earring to put on as she put on the other. When they were on, she stepped away from me to look over me. Her eyes shone with unbridled pride.

She was proud to have done it; to have broken her daughter down. She'd managed to groom me into the perfect pureblood bride that reflected the upbringing that had been instilled into me. I was the quiet, obedient girl that hid behind my brother and then when the time came; my husband. I would stand behind the beliefs that were imprinted into my whole being - no matter how much I disagreed with them. She was delighted to have broken her outspoken daughter down into a timid mouse

"We're going to fix your betrothal to the Malfoy heir," Husband number eight said alerting me of his presence in the room that I had long forgotten about. He stood up from my bed and moved to stand beside my mother as he smiled down at me. Only a few months ago I would have rolled my eyes just at the sound of his voice.

The poor fool actually thought that he was a permanent fixture. He should've known by now that my mother ditched a husband before he could swear on Salazar's name. He was here for four more months. Tops. Or at least until some other fool caught mother's fancy and he would then be kicked out of the picture. It was a shame really, out of all of the flings that my mother called husbands he was the one that appeared to be the most genuine. What he was doing with my mother, I had no idea.

Mother and Number Eight began to talk amongst themselves as they walked out of the room, expecting Blaise and I to follow after them. Blaise, noticing the lack of adults walked over towards me and held out his arm for me to slip my hand into.