A Recurring Nuisance (James Potter)

No one requested this one but I missed writing for James so I just went with the first idea that came to my head. That being said - it might not be that good so don't be too harsh about it? 

FIRST YEAR

As I stepped onto platform 9 and ¾ for the first time, the excitement was palpable. Although, the excitement wasn't mine. No, it was my dad's. He was far too excited for me to enter Hogwarts for the first time. Over the summer he had spoken nonstop about how life-changing the castle was. I wasn't quite sure whether to believe him or not. Dad had, once upon a time, been a professor at the school. He had retired after a few years of teaching because the job required him to be away from home for so long.

We had stepped through the wall first and I wanted to head off to explore. But I had to wait for the family who followed shortly after ours. The Potter family stepped through the wall, walking towards our side. Mr Potter was an elderly man who had been my dad's mentor. He had even told my dad that of all his students, my dad had been his favourite. The men had kept close contact through the years and I whilst I adored the Potters, I didn't adore their son.

According to mum, I had met James Potter for the first time when I was only days old. He had been born only a month or so before me, and since then, the boy had been a reoccurring nuisance in my life. I hadn't managed to shake him off my tail as we grew up. The only chance I had of doing that now, was for the pair of us to get sorted into different houses.

"Now James," I heard Mr Potter address his son. My parents looked over my things for the last time, making sure that I hadn't forgotten anything. "You remember what I've asked you to do, right?"

Mum approached me, hugging me close to her and she spoke words that I couldn't pay attention to. Instead, I watched from over mum's shoulder as the youngest Potter glanced in my direction.

"You said to make sure that I look after Ward," he answered back, grinning when he saw the annoyed look I threw his way. "Don't worry Dad, I won't let her out of my sight."

He said the last part more to annoy me, than to reassure his dad. I pulled away from mum, making sure that James saw the glare I aimed at him. The train whistle blew and we hurried off into the train.

"If you hurry now you'll be able to find a carriage," mum said as she helped me onto the train. Before I could walk back into the train, I turned to hug her.

"I love you, mum."

"Love you too, sweetheart," she said with a grin. "I can't believe you're off to Hogwarts already."

"Don't worry Mrs Ward," James said from behind me, "I'll look after her."

Mum smiled gratefully before we walked into the train to look for some empty carriages. James hung back as if to help me with my bags and I swatted his hand away.

"Look after me, my foot," I muttered, brushing past him without a second glance. "Who's going to look after you?"

"You are, Ward," he said with a grin, finding an empty carriage and entering it.

I had planned on walking straight past him to find my own carriage but he was having none of that. James reached out to pull my trunk away from me. Despite my resistance, James had made me walk into the carriage.

"I promised to look after you," he reminded me.

"Oh please," I scoffed, sitting down by the window. At least I knew when it was time to give up fighting. "You never listen to your parents unless you know that listening to them will somehow annoy me."