Friendzoned (James Potter)

"Remember to write to me," Mum said sniffling slightly making me look at Dad, expecting him to step in any moment now. Dear Merlin! The woman looked like she was going to burst into tears. "Don't forget to pull yourself away from your books every now and then, and no pranks or-"

The whistle blew, cutting her off and she pulled me into her arms, squeezing the life out of me.

"Mum," I said the words smothered into her shoulder. I gave up struggling and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her closer to me. Her hold on me softened before she slowly pulled away from me and tucked some of my hair behind my ear. "I'm going to miss you mum."

"I'm going to miss you too, sweetheart."

Walking towards Dad I gave him a hug, feeling him press a kiss to the top of my head before he leaned down to whisper in my ear, "No boys this year." I made eye contact with mum over his shoulder and she rolled her eyes having obviously heard his words. "Look after yourself."

"You too," I managed to say as the train whistle blew and I pulled back from him suddenly. "I have to go."

Picking my trunk up I rushed onto the train, only to stop at the door and wave a final goodbye to my parents. They waved back and I headed into the train, scanning each of the carriages before stopping before my usual one.

"Remus," I said grinning at the shaggy haired boy as soon as I had entered the carriage. "How was your summer?" He didn't have a chance to answer as someone cleared their throat dramatically and I turned to look at the other boys in the carriage. "Hello Sirius, Peter."

Sirius grinned back at me as Peter gave me a shy wave. Rising from his seat Sirius stood up to help me lift my trunk onto the shelf. He moved to sit down once again and I pulled his cheek teasingly. "Aw ickle Sirius, such a gentlemen."

He glared mockingly back at me before sending me a wink. "Only for you, love."

"And every other girl in Hogwarts," I added pulling a book out from my bag, noticing the distinct lack of a certain marauder. As the train set off, I let myself sink into the seat, the book perched on my lap.

"You can't be serious because I'm Sirius." A voice said as I turned the first page, disrupting me midsentence. Furrowing my eyebrows slightly I looked up at Sirius as he leaned over and ripped the book away from my grasp. "No reading until we get to Hogwarts." He ordered, frowning heavily. "It's hard enough getting you away from the books at Hogwarts."

Reaching forward I moved to pull the book away from him but was side tracked when the carriage door slid open. I almost let out a small groan, expecting it to be a member of the boys' fan club but stopped as James walked in. Catching sight of his partner in crime, Sirius looked at James for support. "Back me up here mate; tell her that she can't read until we get to Hogwarts!"

"No," I insisted, shooting Sirius a look. "Back me up. Tell him to give me the book back and to leave me alone."

He looked between the two of us and rolled his eyes when we both asked, at the same time, "Who's your best friend?" He continued to stare at us in silence, already used to Sirius and my frequent arguments. Sitting down between us he plucked the book out of Sirius' hands and I gave Sirius a smirk only for it to falter when James sat on it, looking smugly between the two of us.

Sirius pouted slightly but still muttered, "At least she's not reading," to himself.

I turned to face James as he glanced between Sirius and me, his lip curved upwards in amusement. I pushed my bottom lip out, pleading silently with him. Taking one look at my expression he turned his focus back onto Remus but spoke to me, "Stop giving me that look or else I'm going to cave."