Inevitable (Bill Weasley)

I was signing off when I received the news, and it felt like the ground had suddenly caved under my feet. Steading myself I glanced around my office for my portable healer's kit. Picking it up I apparated quickly to Shell Cottage, feeling the wards give way to me instantly.

The feel of being allowed into the cottage instantly brought back the horrible memory of when I had been caught in the middle of a fight between Fleur and Bill about whether or not I should be allowed so easily into the cottage. Removing the thought from my head when my feet touched the ground, I looked around to see Molly running out towards me, her relief obvious at the sight of me. My eyes moved from Molly to look around the cottage, trying to find any sign of him.

"Where is he Molly?" I asked as the older witch clutched to my arm as if she needed the physical support.

"He's in his room," She said as she straightened up.

Molly didn't wait a second, she led me up the stairs and straight towards his room. Opening the door to his room I walked inside and found him lying down on the bed, asleep. At the sound of the soft call of my name I looked over my shoulder at Molly as she stood in the door of his room, eyes focused on her son.

"Fleur left," She whispered quietly, trying not to wake him up.

"Phlegm left him?" I asked outraged. "Why?"

"She took one look at him, at the scars and left." Walking into the room she set a hand onto my shoulder. We both stood looking down at Bill as he slept. Merlin, the one time I couldn't come along. "He's all alone now."

"No he's not. He's still got me."

"Good." She turned away from looking at her son to look me in the eyes. Her eyes showed just how worried she was. "He's already lost his fiancée. I don't think that he'll be able to cope if he lost his best friend as well."

"I'd never leave him Molly," I promised her but I saw the fear in her eyes. She was scared for Bill and how he'd cope but she had no reason to worry. From the very first time I had set foot in Hogwarts, Bill and I had been attached at the hips and nothing had managed to change that. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Good." Letting out a slight sigh, she dug into the pocket of her cardigan and pulled out her hand. Opening her palm up, she showed me Phlegm's engagement ring. "Give it back to him for me."

I nodded as I reached over to pick up the ring. Pocketing the ring I watched Molly as she left the room, closing the door quietly behind her. Approaching the bed I placed my healer's kit on the bed, purposefully keeping my eyes off of him for as long as possible. But it was inevitable that I would look at him. My breath caught when I saw the scars on his face. I remembered what the patronus had told me. Werewolf. He'd been attacked by a werewolf.

He was still unconscious and I pulled the ring out of the pocket, setting it onto his bedside table. Sitting on the edge of the bed I brushed some of his hair gently off from his forehand, watching it crease in pain as I traced his scars with my fingers. I needed to relieve him of his pain quickly.

Opening my healer's kit with a swish of my wand, I set to work by pulling my hair into a messy bun at the top of my head. Rising from the bed, I diluted a cleansing potion to clean his wounds. Dipping a cotton pad into the potion I cleaned his wounds as quickly and as gently as I could to cause him as little pain as possible. Finding the correct paste, I healed the wounds completely in order to speed up the scarring, and eventual healing process.

Gathering all of my things I picked out a small pain potion and set it onto his desk for him to take when he woke up. Closing the healer's kit I picked it up and turned to leave the room so that he could continue to sleep in peace. I was at the door when I heard him groan in pain. Pausing at the sound I looked back at him as he sat up on the bed, leaning against the headboard.