A Long Way from Home (Charlie Weasley)

Goodness, this one is long. But I guess that makes up for not posting in a while, right? This is over 10k long and I found it really difficult to stop writing for this couple, for some reason? Anyway, I hope you like it ~ 

The reserve that was to be my home for the next year or so, was horrendously understaffed in terms of healers. The number of non-medical staff on the reserve was in the hundreds, and yet the medical team was made of only five healers. Six, with myself included. I could quickly see myself becoming run down by the amount of work I'd be doing but, I reminded myself that I had signed up for this. This was a decision that I had made myself and I was going to stick to it. Keeping that in mind, I made my way around the medical cabin which was far larger and more well-equipped than I had expected it to have been.

"Healer Hill," a voice called out and I briefly paused in assessing the supplies within the ingredients cupboard.

Turning to face the younger man approaching me, I raised an inquisitive eyebrow, "Yes, Hopkins?"

"You wouldn't happen to have seen where I put the newest shipment of Blood-Replenishing potions?" He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, "I can't remember where I put the crate down."

"Hopkins," I let out a deep breath, refusing to let myself get worked up over yet another one of his mistakes, "I suggest you search for the missing crate or I'll make sure you stay back every night for the next two weeks to sterilise all of the equipment. Do you understand?"

"Yes ma'am." He didn't lose his sheepish smile as he shuffled away to look for the missing crate of potions.

Godric help that boy. I watched him walk away with narrowed eyes. He'd freshly left Hogwarts and had signed up to do his healer training here in bloody Romania and kept making the most ridiculous mistakes every day. But, he still had the makings of a healer deep inside of him. I'd just have to bring that part out of him.

As I turned back to the ingredients cupboard, I continued to keep stock of the ingredients, making a brief note of what else we needed. A knock on the door of the cabin interrupted me mid-process.

"I'm looking for the new healer?" The voice was overwhelmingly familiar and the butterflies in my stomach was something that I had become used to. Merlin, I'd have the luck of picking the reserve that he worked in.

"That would be me, Charlie," I said after I'd gathered myself enough to turn around and face the man.

His eyebrows rose a little in surprise at the sight of me but he quickly regained himself. "I had no idea that you were working at the reserve."

"I had no idea that you were working at the reserve," I shot back, growing aware of the eyes of the rest of the medical team that had grown very interested in our conversation. Turning my back to him, I pretended to continue my assessment of the supplies.

"So, you didn't come here to search me out then," he teased and I was glad for it. The more he shifted into becoming like his usual self, the more I could relax around him.

"Did you need anything from me?" He walked towards me, standing beside me as he looked down at me. Ignoring the eyes on me, I made a note that we needed more moonstone powder. "I'm supposed to be meeting with the head Dragonologist."

"Well, he's standing right beside you, love." He chuckled slightly when I glanced curiously up at him. "There's no need to look so surprised."

"I had no idea you'd been promoted," I said quietly, turning away from him.

"I was promoted right after the battle." He cleared his throat.

"There's no need to explain." He rolled his eyes at my insistence. "Godric Charlie, there's no reason that I was supposed to know."