Side by Side (Remus Lupin)

Just because this has been posted, doesn't mean that requests are open yet! Requests will only be open once I've posted the request notice.

Anyway, the reason I told you to pay attention to the notices within this one shot is because I'm using this as a way of letting you all know that I'm going to be contacting some of you privately to offer you the chance to request a one shot before requests are officially open. I've compiled a list of my stand out readers and using one of those random picker things, I'm going to select a handful of them. This list is going to continue to grow, so if you didn't get picked this time, don't get disheartened because you just might get picked next time.

Also, can you believe this is the 80th one shot I've written!

None of my friends understood why I was friends with Remus. They couldn't understand my being anything more than an acquaintance with him because, in their words; Slytherins and Gryffindors weren't friends. It simply wasn't done. Especially when the Gryffindor was not only a half-blood but also a marauder. I was so tempted to tell them where they could shove their words but simply rolled my eyes.

Why were they concerning themselves with my business? And why did it matter that he was 'so completely beneath me'? They knew next to nothing about Remus. All they knew was the rubbish that circulated around the common room. They didn't know about the 8-year-old that I had met and instantly clung to, no matter how determined he was to become a social pariah.

Merlin, I could still remember the first time my parents had taken me to the Lupin household. We had just moved into the neighbourhood when the Lupin's invited us to their home. Remus had been a quiet child, barely speaking to me or meeting my eyes. Thankfully he had grown out of his shyness - well, most of it. And we had been friends ever since.

"Remus," Mr Lupin, a tall man said to the young boy who was sat on the sofa, "remember to play nicely while we talk to the Richmonds."

I was stood beside Mr Lupin, looking at 'Remus' curiously. The boy hadn't moved from the sofa once and hadn't so much as glanced my way. He finally looked at me briefly before nodding his head.

"Ok."

Satisfied, Mr Lupin patted me on the shoulder before leaving the front room to talk to my parents about some Dumbly-man. I stayed by the doorway, watching the boy curiously when he did nothing more than meet my eyes for a fraction of a second before looking away again.

Weird.

I crossed the room curiously, settling myself on the sofa beside him. Turning to him, I watched his eyes widen for a second before he moved away slightly. But I didn't get upset - mummy said that Remus was a special boy that I had to be very nice to.

"Remus," I tested out. The boy looked at me after I had called his name, waiting for me to carry on speaking. But he wasn't going to say anything? What if he couldn't talk? Was that what made him special? Or did it have something to do with the scars that I could visibly see? "What's your favourite thing to do? It's so boring here - dad said that because there's muggles around I have to make sure to not talk about magic - oh you know what magic is, right?"