Chapter 23

Still Chester's P.O.V

I wake up in the middle of the night, to Hatty crying. I was surprised that Grace didn't wake up, she usually does. I pull the covers off my body then slide out of bed. As I move to the other side of the room my feet warm up with every step. I learn over the travel crib to see what Hatty wants. I can tell that she is hungry, but the way she is moving her mouth like she is feeding.

"Ok. Baby I'm going to wake mommy up so she can feed you baby girl." I say lifting her out of the crib and bringing her to Grace. I place her in one arm while I start to shake her.

"Grace? Grace baby. Wake up. She hungry."I say shaking Grave trying to wake her up. But she wasn't waking up. What's wrong. Why isn't she waking up? My heart racing I place Hatty back into her crib then I sprint into Theresa's room.

"Theresa wake up. She... She... She's not waking up." I wail, bursting through the door giving them a rude awaking.

"Who? Who isn't waking up? Chester?" Theresa shouts worriedly, as she wraps her dressing gown over her body.

"Grace." I cry, as I lead them into the spare room. I remove the covers that covered Grace to find her on the bed cold and blue. She is breathing but isn't conscious.

"I'll call 911," Mark says racing downstairs to grab the home phone.

Mark goes off to call 911 and Theresa then takes Hatty from the crib and puts her onto her hip to look after Hatty while I stay at Grace's side holding her hand.

"Grace...Grace you need to stay with us. I can't bring Hatty up on her own. She needs her mom. Please, Grace for Hatty please." I plead as I kiss her forehead and hold her hand. I get interrupted by the noise the paramedics are making downstairs. They rush upstairs and come to Grace.

"What's her name?"

"Grace Ann Helbig."

"Ok, Grace we are taking you to the hospital now," The paramedic says as they get her on the stretcher and take her downstairs. They place her into the ambulance and ask who was coming with her.

"You go with her,"Theresa says to me. "Make sure you hold her hand." She sobs while holding my 5-month-old daughter in her arms.

I nod crying.
"I will. She is mine, my Gracie. I will never leave her. Please be alright Grace, Hatty needs you, your parents need you, I need you." I whisper in the back of the ambulance holding her hand and kissing her forehead continuously, hoping and praying for her to be alright. The ride was bumpy but I could bear it for Gracie.

The portable life machine, that monitors her heart rate and suddenly we hear the machine and her heart rate suddenly it goes flat line.

"What's going on tell me," I shout while they move me to the other side of the ambulance.

They take the blanket of her so they can check her abdomen and there it was. The cause of all this. Violet red blood stain sweatpants. They take her sweatpants off then start examining her. They put an IV drip into her hand and start to take all sorts of information from her. They check her blood pressure which was high and her heart rate was dropping by the second. I zone out during the rest of the ambulance ride.

"Please someone, what's going on? " I ask crying just wanting some answers, still holding Grace's hand.

"It seems that Miss Helbig has...