Monsters

Chapter 2: New Beginnings

The green trees zipped past me as I kept my foot on the accelerator. I sighed at the rain that started pouring from the sky before turning on the windshield wipers. Ahead, there was a driveway that was all too familiar to my eyes. The vehicle started slowing as the wheels started turning slowly. The vehicle started cruising down the long driveway. I bit my bottom lip as the house was in my view. I put the car in park and pulled up my hood. I jumped out of the partially rustic truck. My feet landed in a puddle that splashed at the contact. The splash of the puddle caused my feet to get wet. I shook the water off of my boots and marched to the front door. I noticed that the house looked ancient. My eyes glanced at a window and noticed the layers of dust blocking the view inside the dusty house. I gripped the knob as I huffed. I smiled as I stepped inside. My eyes started examining the house carefully.

"Home, sweet home." I said to myself. I inhaled deeply but instead of exhaling, I started coughing out the dust that went down my throat. I closed my eyes before sneezing.

"It can be called home once it's clean."

-
The door swung open as I wiped my forehead.

"Ave, you here?" I heard a deep voice call out. I was currently in the living room wiping down the windows.

"In here, dad." I called back out to my father, Adam. He came in quickly and examined me.

"Okay, you're a safe and fine. Great." He said with a smile. I rolled my eyes at his protectiveness.

"Dad, I can take care of myself." I said as I continued moving my hand in circles against the window. I heard him scoff.

"As if." He muttered. I felt my jaw drop. I picked up a dusty pillow.

"Hey." I said as I threw it towards him. He blocked the pillow with his hand which is a very bad idea, in my opinion. I watched as he started coughing as dust floated in the air.

"Kidding." He said before walking away. "Come help me with these boxes."

"No, thank you." I said before returning to my job.

"It wasn't a question, it was an order." He said before walking out of the house. I groaned before tossing the now dirty rag on the floor. I stomped outside to see three people standing next to my father. I slid next to my dad and gave the strangers a kind smile.

"Avery, this is Officer Charlie Swan and his twin daughters, Bella and Lizzie." He said. I waved at the two girls as they sent me a small smile. I automatically noticed the differences between the two girls. Bella had brown hair while Lizzie had blonde hair. They were both beautiful but I had a feeling that Lizzie had the boys staring at her. Bella had beautiful hazel-green eyes. Lizzie had shocking blue eyes.

"Thank you for coming. We have been having troubles with this animal." Charlie said. My dad placed his hand on the officer's shoulder and squeezed it lightly.

"No problem, we enjoy hunting. It's a great sport." My dad said. Bella glanced at my father alarmed by the sudden words. I raised my eyebrows as I stared at the two twins who were fidgeting with their fingers.

'Guess it runs in the family.' I thought. I smirked as I noticed that they were acting a little too suspicious.

"I would invite you guys inside but it's a mess in there. Also, there is nothing to see." I spoke up. The girls glanced up from their fidgeting fingers. Bella sent me a smile. I gladly returned the smile.

"Really, thank you for coming back." Charlie said. Lizzie glanced at her father.

"They have been here before?" She asked her voice sounding like soft bells.