Monsters

Chapter 28: Help

I was taken aback by the way he confronted me. My heart was pounding in my chest. He glanced my way with a serious look. His mouth was in a straight, thin line but his eyes glistened. His chocolate brown eyes glistened with hope and fear. Hoping that I would say yes. Fearing that I would reject him. A small smile made its way on my face. His eyes lit up like the stars on a dark night. A smile stretched its way across his face.

"Alright, fine." I agreed. He hugged me like a child hugging their blanket. I gasped for air as I patted his back. He pulled away with a goofy grin.

"So, what now, girlfriend?" He asked with a cheeky smile. I was about to correct him when I saw the puppy eyes.

Awe, look. Puppy eyes. Absinthe stated the obvious. You know you can't resist them, Avery.

Those damned puppy eyes. I growled internally to my companion.

"Whatever." I mumbled. Jared laughed as I rolled my eyes. I stepped away from the cliff and walked into the woods. Heavy footsteps followed closely as I leap over sticks and logs. "Look at me. I am so graceful with my w-" I was cut off by tripping over a stick as the ground was heading my way. I landed on my stomach as I groaned. Absinthe laughed as Jared rushed to my side.

"Are you alright?" He said with a smirk. I looked at him with my brown eyes when he started laughing.

"Oh, just dandy." I muttered sarcastically. I pushed him away with my injured hand as I stood up and brushed off the dirt. I stomped away while Jared clutched his stomach with laughter.

"Avery, wha-" He laughed even harder when I tripped again. I shouted colorful words and picked up my feet. I turned my head the other direction when I heard a twig snap far away in the distance. My feet stopped moving as I waited. Jared came up behind me with a confused look. "Wh-" I shushed him by placing a hand over his mouth. His protesting was muffled as I held the back of his head with my other free hand. Another twig snapped which made me flinch a bit. Jared tensed at the sound. I moved my body with Jared's body and moved us behind a tree. Jared was pushed up against the tree as I peeked around the large tree. I felt Jared smirk through my fingers. I rolled my eyes at his pervertedness. A couple stepped out into the clearing. They stumbled over the sticks like they were drunk. Neither of them spoke but they held hands. The couple were people that I have never seen before.

"Who are they?" I whispered to Jared. He shrugged since he couldn't speak nor see. They seemed harmless as they inched closer to us. I released Jared and stepped out from behind the tree to catch their attention. Their eyes seemed to be lifeless like a dead corpse that came to life to haunt people. Jared was standing beside me as he watched the odd couple. The couple brushed past me as they walked towards the cliff. They didn't seem to acknowledge me standing there.

Avery, follow the couple. Absinthe instructed. I did as I was told and followed after them. Jared whispered towards me in a scolding way. The couple walked towards the cliff that I recently screamed from. The cliff came into view as the couple inched closer to the cliff. I had an odd gut feeling about the couple. They let one foot off the edge. My heart started pounding as realization hit me. The possessed couple hopped off the edge as screams were heard. I rushed to the edge to see the couple screaming and crying for help. Jared rushed to my side as we watched helplessly. The couple splashed their bodies into the salty lake. My hands shook with fear. Avery, you need to save them.