Monsters

Chapter 30: Losing Victim

I flinched awake from the sudden nightmare that I recently had. My eyes darted from left to right when I realized everything was dark. I felt panic rise as my breathing started getting out of control. Hands touched my shoulder which caused me to freak out more.

"Avery, it is alright." A soft, familiar voice stated. My wild, beating heart continued pounding in my chest trying to find some kind of escape. "Avery, breathe."

"I-I can't." I stuttered through my heavy breathing.

"Why not?" He asked. His breathing hit my neck each time. I noticed how close he was to me. My eyes darted the light that seeped from under the door.

"You're too close to me." I whispered. Jared sighed and scooted away from me. I placed my hands on the bed to hold myself up. Jared leaned back and placed his hands behind his head. I swung my feet to the edge of the bed. My feet brushed against the tiled floor that was cold. I slowly placed my feet on the cold floor before fulling standing up. My eyes checked the time which made it explain why it was still dark outside. "I'm hungry."

"There is food in the kitchen." Jared said as he motioned to the door. I rolled my eyes and went to the kitchen.

Why didn't you guys get it on? Absinthe whined. I pulled a bowl out of a cabinet and grabbed some cereal. Footsteps approached the kitchen. My eyes adverted to the person who was walking in. Jared came up behind me and reached for a bowl. Heat like always radiated from him. His bowl was placed next to mine as he waited for the cereal. I handed him the cereal and made my way to the fridge. My hand pulled out the milk carton as I started pouring it in my cereal. I pulled out a spoon and walked to the table. I stuffed my face with cereal. The sun started to rise filling the world with light. Jared munched on his cereal silently. Milk and cereal dripped from my mouth with each spoonful. Footsteps and noises were heard from the other room. A tall woman came in dressed and ready. A smile started spreading across her face when her eyes landed on me.

"Avery, hello." She chirped. I smiled and swallowed my food.

"Hello, Mrs. Cameron." I said in return.

"I didn't hear you come in." She stated. Jared watched me intently.

"I didn't want to wake you." I replied. She nodded and started making her coffee. Silence filled the room as Jared continued munching on his food. I glanced down and noticed that my bowl was filled with milk and no more cereal. I chugged the milk down and sat up from my seat. I placed the bowl in the sink and leaned against the counter.

"Alright, kids. I am going to work." Mrs. Cameron stated cutting into the silence. She excused herself and grabbed her things. The front door shut filling the room with silence again. Jared cleared his throat and sat up from his seat. I watched him move in front of me. I knew that I was blocking the sink. I just wanted him to speak to me. He stared at me and waited. I stood my ground and waited for him to say something. He raised his eyebrows as a smirk formed. I sighed and continued to wait. He stepped closer closing space between us. My breathing stopped as my heart starting running it's marathon. I decided to play it cool and smile back. He continued to smirk as he inched closer. His arm reached around me as he placed the bowl into the sink. I mentally cursed as he stepped back away from me.

I can't believe you just lost that battle, Ave. Absinthe said shocked. I was also shocked by the fact that I got distracted.

Shut up. I mumbled. I turned away and stared out the window. I watched the limbs of the trees dance with the wind. I had a bad feeling about something. Jared's phone buzzed from his room which caused him to excuse himself. I waited in silence for him to come back into the kitchen. He came in with an odd look.

"I have to go." He stated sadly. I sighed and nodded.

"Yeah, I should go too. I have places to be and people to meet." I said with a small smile. Jared smiled and kissed my cheek. He went into his room while I walked out of the house. I hopped into the car and pulled it onto the road. The nightmare had me freaked. The nightmare was the same one with Seth in it. The only difference was that my father was after my mom and me. The thought of my father hating me hurt me. My dad didn't hate me when he shot himself. What makes anything different? Will it happen? I slammed on the breaks when Drew stepped out in the road. My heart picked up in my chest when he turned his head. His eyes were black.

I didn't want to get out of the car but I did it anyways

I didn't want to get out of the car but I did it anyways. Drew or whoever was in control stared at me. Red liquid dripped from his shaking fingers. I reached out but flinched when he spoke.

"Hello, Avery." His deep, raspy voice sent chills down my spine. I breathed in and out.

"W-what are you doing?" I asked. Drew laughed and became serious again.

"Killing my victims." He said darkly. "You're next."

--
Hey, sorry. It took so long. What do you think of the cover? :D I made it myself. I like it. If you don't like, I will change it. :|

Rest in peace, Christina Grimmie.

Vote, comment, and follow.

Smile everyday. Keep on turtling.

~Katie