independence daze

"Okay, here we go." Samantha said, placing a tray with milk and cookies onto the table. "Don't you think you guys are getting a little old for milk and cookies?"
"Maybe. But you're never too old for a cookie sandwich." Benny grinned, stuffing three cookies into his mouth.
Olivia and Sarah gave him a disgusted look. "Just when I think you found every way there is to be disgusting, you find another one!"
Olivia saw Ethan pause before removing two of the cookies that he was about to eat in one with the third. "Yeah, I know right, grow up, Benny!"
Olivia laughed and gave Ethan a subtle look.
"Hello!" Evelyn said, walking into the kitchen. Benny looked away, trying to hide the fact that he may know why his grandma's paying them a visit.
"Oh, hi, Evelyn! What brings you here?"
"Well, I just wanted to make sure that Benny isn't making a mess." She smiled, knocking over his cup of milk, making Benny jump back.
"Oh! Do you have any napkins?"
Samantha chuckled. "Stay put, I'll get some."
"Grandma!" Benny hissed.
"Well, what do you have to say for yourselves?!" Evelyn whispered.
"It's an easy explanation: Sarah didn't believe in trolls and Ethan and Olivia bet me I couldn't conjure one... what was I supposed to do?" Benny threw his arms up in the air.
"You didn't conjure a troll; you conjured a toll - cost me five bucks to get it out of my living room!"
"Hah!" Olivia teased.
"Told you you couldn't do it." Ethan grinned.
"Here we go-"
Evelyn used her magic to knock over the plate of cookies this time, Olivia had to stop herself from laughing at the look on Benny's face.
"It's okay, I'll get the dust thingy. Just be a sec!"
"Well, at least I conjured a toll booth, can one of you three do that?" Benny pointed.
"No, all Olivia and I do is fight everything while you two hide." Sarah shot back at him.
"You hide every time that stupid Robo-Dentist movie's on." Olivia laughed.
"Hey, CyberDentist came to this planet to fill our cavities with pain!" Benny argued. He looked at Sarah. "At least I'm not hiding from myself."
"What's that supposed to mean?" Sarah defended.
"That you're a vampire who's afraid to bite people." Ethan chipped in. Sarah glared at Ethan. "What, he said it, I didn't!"
"And you're so perfect?" Sarah scoffed.
"I'm just saying, between Benny's misspelt magic and your smash happy strategy, you'd all fail without my bulletproof, genius plans!" Ethan argued.
"Stop!" Evelyn and Olivia yelled. "Quit with the arguing, we all know I'm the best here." Olivia joked, smirking.
"You four are a team!" Evelyn said, as thunder sounded from outside. "I sense a coming darkness, a force so powerful, so evil that none of you stand a chance against it alone! Only by working together can you-" Evelyn trailed off once she realised none of them were listening - they were all on their phones. "You need to work together!"
"Yeah..." Benny mumbled.
Evelyn sighed. "Did you guys hear that thunder?" Samantha asked, walking back into the kitchen.

***

Olivia's P.O.V

I woke up this morning and got myself ready and attempted to do my makeup, it's been a lot harder ever since I can't see myself in the mirror, you have no idea. "Mom?! I think I messed up my makeup a little, can you come help me out?" I yelled from my room. No answer. "Strange..." I mumbled. I opened my secret cabinet at the back of my closet and took out a supply of blood and grabbed my bag before walking down the stairs. I looked around and saw no one so I walked into the kitchen holding my blood, for once I didn't have to hide it and subtly tip it into my Dusk cup; I don't even like Dusk, but my grandmother got it for me and I had to accept it - it's actually pretty handy now - everyone thinks I'm drinking lemonade or something. I gulped it down. I then looked around the house again and listened carefully. There was no noise and I couldn't sense any movement in my house. I shrugged. "Perhaps everyone's sleeping."
I then headed for the door. "Another day at hell." I sighed.

***

Once I reached school I immediately knew something was up. One the way to school, I usually meet up with Benny and walk the rest of the way with him, but he didn't show up. And now there's no one at school... absolutely no one.
"I swear the school trip to the candy factory was next week." I mumbled to myself.