Chapter 2

~Kyouko's POV~

I was jumping from building to building, keeping check of the city below me. It was my job to protect these people of the city, even if they don't know who I was. Why is it my job? There was a police report saying that this city was full of phantoms and they were harming citizens. My job was to capture all phantoms in sight and in return I get a reward of 10,000,000 ¥.

I've been doing missions like this for several years since I had finished my training. I left my brother when I was 8 years old and I met a woman. She became my sensei and taught me everything she knew. She trained me to become who I was today. But sadly, she was swallowed up by an enormous phantom and was never seen again.

I shook the thought out of my head and continued to search the area. I looked at one of the streetlights to see it flicker a bit. 'A phantom's near.'

I flicked my wolf ears around, hoping that I will be able to pick up some sound. I heard soft footsteps coming from one of the closest alleyways. I looked down from the roof to see several phantoms lurking in the shadows. As the phantoms reached the end of the alleyway, I jumped down from the roof and landed behind them. The phantoms turned around and growled at me. I got into battle position and kept my eyes on the phantoms as they begin to circle around me.

All of a sudden, one of the phantoms launches towards me and leaped onto my back. I threw the phantom off my back, making it hit the brick wall. The second phantom which looked like a large bird then flew up and flies towards me. I drew back my right hand and clutches it into a fist. As I threw a punch at the phantom, my fist was surrounded by a black fire. When my fist made contact with the phantom, it yelled in pain and flew away from me. It let it a loud screech before coming at me once more. This time, the phantom was heading towards me with its beak. As it flew towards me, I grabbed it by the beak and threw it at the first phantom.

I glance at the last phantom as it towers over me. It began to growl loudly and slash a claw at me. I dodged its claw and jumped back several feet. I smirked at the phantom and began to take a deep breath of air. Then I let out a loud howl, blowing away the phantom. 'Thank god for this power.'

I growled as I held my chest in pain. My heart begins to beat rapidly in pain whenever I use this move. 'God damn it Kyouko. Sensei even told me to only use it in a life or death situation.' ' As the pain in my chest began to calm down, I was able to regain my focus. I looked at the unconscious phantoms in front of me. I took out a dagger from my waistbelt and sliced the phantoms, making them disappear into midair. By doing this, I can make sure they don't roam around in the human world any longer. But sadly, the dagger isn't that powerful, it was a hand-me-down from my sensei. She told me that the dagger will only work if the phantoms were unconscious. I found it stupid that you had to do this but it works so I can't complain.

I place the dagger back into the sheath and walked out of the alleyway. 'Got rid of all the phantoms in this city.' I looked around the streets to see that I was the only one there. I walked downtown to this bar a friend of mine owned. I knew that I wasn't old enough but hey, a girl needs to get a drink. Once I got there, I entered the bar to see my friend behind the bar cleaning some glasses. "Yo Kyouko! What's up!" He said, grinning happily. "Fine, can you get me a beer?" I asked, sitting down in front of him. "Sure, this one's on the house ok." He said, going to make a beer.

I sighed with relief and placed an elbow on the bar then rest my head on the palm of my hand. "You stressed? Have you been phantom hunting again?" He asked, passing me a beer. I grabbed the beer and gulped down half of the beer, "Yep, just finished this town." "Aww, you're leaving already dude?" He said sadly. I nodded my head in reply.

"Oh, did you hear about the attack on the hospital two weeks ago?" He asked. I shook my head and put down my beer to listen to him. "Well, this super powerful phantom attacked this town and was targeting the hospital but was stopped by this group of teenagers and an adult." He told me. I raised an eyebrow, "Teenagers? How powerful can they be?" I asked. He rolled his eyes and pointed at me, "You have no rights to judge them. You're a teen yourself." I raised my hands in defense but put them down. "So these teenagers. Can you describe them?" I asked. He nodded his head, "Yup. A boy and four girls. The adult was a woman. Oh, and there was a fairy phantom too! But it was helping them." He described.

"I see." I said, "Here, I found out by this newspaper." He said passing me a newspaper. I looked at the newspaper and my eyes widen. I quickly grabbed the newspaper, spilling the beer. "Dude! I just wiped that!" My friend exclaimed. I ignored him and stared at the picture on the newspaper. 'Haruhiko.....'

I looked over to my friend, "Can I keep this?" He sighed and wiped the counter, "Sure." "Sorry about that." I apologized. He shook his head and smiled, "It's fine dude." I nodded my head and got up. "I need to go to this town." I told him. He nodded his head in understatement. "Nice knowing you dude." He said. I smiled and waved goodbye to him.

I walked back to my hotel and sat on my bed. I stared at the newspaper, seeing Haruhiko with these other girls. "I wonder if he's still mad at me..." I said to myself. I saw these three pretty girls next to him. I squinted my eyes to see that there was a fairy next to Haruhiko's head. "That must be the phantom that helped them." I said. I put down the newspaper and laid on my bed. " I want to go back to my brother. I want to start over. I'm strong enough now and so is he. But, will he accept me..." I mumbled.

I sighed and shook my head. "I can't keep running away from him." I said. I clutch my hand with determination, "I'll go back. And I'll make him forgive me. Even if it takes my whole life to make him forgive me!"

"Haruhiko, I'm coming back!"