Chapter 22

~Kyouko's POV~

I ate my breakfast as I watched TV. Makoto woke up early and made breakfast for the both of us. I was already ready for school and I was letting Makoto do her own thing. I finished up my food and cleaned after myself. "Makoto, I'm leaving!" I told her. She came out with a towel around her neck and wet hair. "Do you want me to drive you to school?" She asked, "It's quicker. And you still need to get your things at your place." "If it isn't a bother," I said. She gave me a friendly smile and shook her head. "It's no problem. Give me a minute to get ready." She said and walked back into her room.

She soon came back wearing just a normal shirt and jeans. She led me out to the garage and to her car. "You already have a car?!" I asked. "Yea. What's so surprising about that?" She asked and got in. I sat in the passenger seat and buckled up.

The reason why it really surprised me was that her car wasn't like most cars. It was much more expensive looking and futuristic almost. 

"How did you afford this?!" I asked in shock

"How did you afford this?!" I asked in shock. "I have a high paying job," She replied and began to drive. "What do you work as?" I asked curiously. "Professional phantom hunting. It pays well when you're able to hunt worldwide," She said. "You hunt phantoms too? I do that but I don't get money!" I complained. "Yes because you're a part of a school club dedicated to hunting phantoms. I do it as a job and the phantoms I hunt are much more dangerous than the ones here." She said in a matter-of-fact tone, "The ones here are quite powerful I would agree but there are more powerful ones. There's one that's a large Phoenix. Almost a size of an airplane." She said.

My eyes sparkle in curiosity and wonder. There were stronger and larger phantoms out there! Which means stronger ones I can fight!

We arrived at the place where Koito and I shared. She must have already left for school because the door was locked. I used my spare key and went inside and quickly grabbed my things and changed into my uniform. I ran back into the car. "Okay let's go," I said. She nodded and began to drive again. I gave her directions to my school and we arrived with 10 minutes to spare.

People were gathering around the car and pointing at it. I gulped and slouched down my seat. "Calm down. The windows are tinted, they can't see anything." She informed. I sighed in relief and sat back up. "I'll see you after school?" She said. I looked at her and saw slight hope in her eyes. I smiled and nodded. The hope in her eyes brightened more and grinned. I chuckled and unbuckled my seatbelt. "Bye sis," I told her and grabbed my bag. I opened the door which instead of opening like normal doors it slowly went up. 

"Dude isn't that the weird wolf girl?" I heard one of the students whisper. I got out and the car door closes. I watched Makoto drive away as students began to gather around me. "Dude how did you afford that car?" One of them asked. "You're so cool!" One of the female students said. "So-Sorry but I gotta head to class," I said nervously and broke away from the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them but I just don't like being the center of attention.

"Kyouko!" I heard someone call me. I saw Haruhiko and the girls run towards me. Everything that happened yesterday flashed into my mind. I gripped the strap of my bag as I tried not to turn away from Haruhiko. Does he really know?

"Kyouko, where were you?! You weren't here this morning and we were so worried about you!" Mai said and pulled me into a hug. I hugged back and smiled. "I'm fine Mai. I had something to do that's all." I pulled away from her hug. Her eyes were brimmed with tears as she sniffled slightly. My heart panged with guilt and I gently wiped her tears with my thumb. "Hey don't cry. I'm sorry I worried you." I apologized and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

I felt Haruhiko's glare on me but I didn't care. I knew that he liked these girls more than friends but that wasn't gonna stop me from showing my affections to them. Reina and Koito hugged me as well causing me to blush and hugged them back. "Kyouko, do you maybe wanna hang out after school?" Reina asked nervously. "I can't. I'm sorry. I-I already made plans with someone else," I said. Her grip tightened around me as she looked down. "I see," She said sadly.

"Who?" Koito asked with a cold tone. I looked over to her to see a cold and jealous look in her eyes. "I-I can't say," I said. I can't tell them that Makoto was my sister. Not yet at least. Not with Haruhiko around. Koito lets out a scoff as her grip also tightened around me.

"It doesn't matter. If Kyouko wants to do her own thing. We should let her." Haruhiko said with his arms crossed. I knew he was just jealous but I decided to ignore him. "Let's just go to class okay?" I sighed and moved away from them. I went to class alone since I didn't want to talk to Haruhiko right now. And I'm sure he doesn't want to talk to me.

The class was boring as usual. Students were talking about their own things. Haruhiko wouldn't look at me and kept doodling in his book. I mostly slept the whole time during class since I didn't have anything to do. I feel really bad for turning down Reina. She seemed so upset. I'll try to make it up to her one day. I just hope she'll forgive me.

School was finally over and I was walking out with the girls and Haruhiko. The girls refused to leave my side and Haruhiko didn't like me around the girls alone because he thinks I would try to steal them away from him. I looked around for Makoto but frowned when I couldn't see her.

A few minutes later, her car pulled up and she got out. "It's that car from this morning," I heard a student say. Makoto spotted me and gave me a warm smile. I smiled back and broke away from the girls and Haruhiko. "Hey Kyouko," She greeted and came over. I pulled her into a hug and wagged my tail unintentionally. 

"Who's that?" I heard a student whisper to her friend and they replied. "I don't know but they're both cute." "Is your school always like this?" Makoto whispered. I chuckled and nodded. 

"So who's this Kyouko?" I heard a cold voice behind me. I turned around to see the girls giving us a cold and jealous glare while Haruhiko was behind them. 

Ah shit.