Chapter Two: Roasting Starbursts

I was lying on the bed in my room starring at the ceiling unable to sleep when I heard a rustling in the vents. Instantly I was on my feet ready for whatever came through there when I heard a voice whisper, "Don't go all hunter on me! Its just Cassidy!"

"Cassidy?" I was astounded, "What the hell are you doing in the vents!?"

"I told you its my way around this place! I just get to bored being in my room!" she hissed. Her face appeared at the grate, barely visible in the dim light, "Now help me get out!" I rolled my eyes and climbed up onto my bed. Cassidy had a screwdriver and was undoing the vent screws. I took the grate off and helped her out.

"How do you even fit in there?" I ask shocked as I helped her down. This kid was crazy! I mean that in a good way though.

"They are a lot bigger than you'd imagine actually," she said reaching back into the vent pulling out a plastic bag.

"What's in there?" I asked sitting down. She sat down on the floor and opened the bag up.

"Candles, matches, star bursts and some tooth picks. All the essentials for an indoor camp out!" She said with a grin and patted the floor next to her. I slid of the bed onto the floor.

"How did you get this stuff?" I asked with a small laugh amazed by her strange habits.

"The main office has a huge bag of Star bursts in the secretary's desk. She loves these things! The toothpicks are from the director's office and the candles and matches are from the emergency kits." she said casually, taking off the wrapper to a piece of candy., "Have you ever had these?" She motioned to the star burst.

"Star burst? Yeah all the time. They exist in my world too ya know."

"No, I mean roasted star bursts." she said looking at me like I was stupid.

"Roasted Star bursts?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, roasted star bursts! They're amazing!" Cassidy lit the three candles and placed the star burst on a toothpick, sticking it over the flame. "So what do you do over there?" she asked while twisting the candy over the candle. "Are you like Melinda Gordon? Oh my gosh can you cross over ghosts and stuff?! Oh my gosh is she actually real in your world!? That would be awesome!" Cassidy started rambling excitedly, moving her hands as she talked.

"Cassidy, Ghost whisperer is a show in my world too." I told her laughing. Her face fell.

"Well that sucks!" She scrunched up her eyebrows and made the type of face that you make when you smell something bad.

I smiled, "But I have crossed over a ghost before. It was actually on my first time hunting, if you could it that." Her big brown eyes lit up with excitement.

"That is so cool!"

"Yeah, scary as hell though!" I told her, placing my own star burst over the flame.

"How do you do that?!"

"Do what?" I asked confused.

"Swear! Ya know, I can't swear. I just can't do it! I feel like such a horrible person. The guilt is crazy!" She stopped and placed another star burst on her toothpick.

"I get that. Some people just don't do it." I replied nodding my head.

"So I have a plan to get us out!" Cassidy said suddenly switching subjects. I looked up at her. It had been only this morning that we had talked about escaping.

"Seriously?" I asked. She nodded with excitement.

"I can get everything, well almost everything we need. I can hack into your files and find out all the information on where you were found. Since the anniversary is in like 2 week of when you were found thats when we need to get there. But don't you worry.  I can handle all of that. I'll need like 3 days tops. I may need info on the spell to get us across but still no worries! You just need to be ready with those big hunter muscles of yours." She said poking my arm over the candles.