Chapter Eleven: Its a Wonderful Life

The sound of a blaring alarm clock shocked me awake. My head whipped up from the pillow, hair falling into my face. I struggled into a sitting position from the snowflake covered blanket in twined around my body. Brushing my hair out of my eyes I looked around for the alarm clock. It was on the night stand beside the bed. As my eyes adjusted to the dim room I noticed that there was a picture frame by the alarm clock. Curiously, I grabbed the frame. I gasped and it fell from my hands. The glass shattering as it hit the hard wood floor. I looked around the room, suddenly taking in my surroundings.

The walls were a soft lavender, the vintage white vanity was on the right wall by the door, the closet was covered in chalk board paint with dates scrawled in multi-colored chalk and pictures taped to it, the wooden dresser with a record player on it on the opposite wall. An acoustic guitar was by the window, the indigo curtains hanging over the pane. I leaned back against the dark wood headboard and covered my mouth as a sudden sob threatened to escape me. I knew where I was. I had sworn I could never come back here. I was in my old room.

I got out of the bed and opened up the curtains, light flooding into the room. What was going on? How was I here? Was this just set up? I scrambled to the closet and flung it open. All of my clothes were in there, from my vintage rock shirts to the beat up old flannel I wore when fixing my car. My converse and boots thrown carelessly on the floor in a jumbled pile. I looked at the picture on the closet doors. They were just like the one I had dropped earlier. It was of my family. My mom and me...and my dad. There were one of me and my friends, of my parents TOGETHER, me and my mom, me and my dad! Pictures of people I didn't even recognize! How was this even possible!?

Briskly, I walked to the door of my room and pryed it open. The smell of coffee, french toast, bacon, frying potatoes, and something sweet drifted up from the kitchen. The house was different. Not the one I had back in Elko, but my room was exactly the same. Carefully I went down the hallway. I stood at the top of the stairs and heard laughter coming from the downstairs. I went to reach for the dagger in my back pocket but realized with a jolt that I was in a pair of black and white flannel pajamas. I took in a deep breath to try and calm my nerves, which didn't help!

As silently as I could I tip-toed down the staircase. Peering around the corner of the wall I looked into the kitchen, where all the noise was coming from. The sight before me was astounding and made my knees go weak. There was my mom, standing by the oven, flipping a piece of toast, her cup of coffee right beside her still hot, as if it was just made, talking to someone on the phone. Again a sob threatened to over take me. Damn! I was an emotional wreck lately! What was going on with me!?

I walked forward, towards her in a dazed state, with a good-bye she hung up the phone turning back to the breakfast. Reaching out my hand I touched her arm. She jumped and whipped around to me with a gasp. A laugh escaped her and she let out a sigh of relief.

"Angel you scared me! You've gotta stop doing that! Your going to give me a heart attack!" She said laughing, putting down the spatula. I stared at my mom in shock. My eyes searching her face, over and over, but what was I looking for? She was real. Right in front of my in the flesh. But how....

"Rachel? Are you okay?" Mom asked a look of concern changing her expression in a flash, "Honey what's wrong?"

"Your..." I couldn't even say it. My eyes became cloudy as tears tired to push through. I grabbed my mom and wrapped her into the tightest hug possible. A stifled breath coming from my lungs as I tried not to cry. My vision was blurring from the effort.

"Angel what happened? Are you okay?" Mom sounded panicked and concerned but hugged me back.

"I will be Mom...I just...I..." I what? Could I even put to words what was going on in my head right now? "Just had a really bad dream..." I said after a minute.