012 | magnesium

× Horan

Girls are always stereotyped for being gossipers who can't seem to stop talking. Ever. Whether that's true or not, it doesn't matter because it's not fair. Because boys are not any better at shutting their damn mouths than the girls are. Gossiping a natural thing for either gender, really, because it's almost always out of envy, boredom, anger, or attention. Everyone wants to feel part of the group, so they spread lies to make things interesting or to feel better about themselves.

So I wasn't the least bit surprised to find my teammates conversing about the new player of our team as I walked into the locker room to change.

"Where have you been, mate?" William asked from the bench. I could physically feel every eye on me as I walked to my locker and did the combination.

"He's been with Lynn," James responded for me, wiggling his brows. I ignored both of them and took a seat on the bench and started tugging on my knee socks. "Abby told me you showed her to her room. I bet you stayed the night with her. You know, to make her feel more at home, of course."

There were some laughs from the players but I brushed them off. They always did this, asking who the latest "victim" (their words, not mine) was that I slept with, how it happened, and if it was any good. James was the first to ask because, well, he was roommate and wanted to know if it was worth kicking him of the room for - and let me tell you, kicking James out of the room was always a blessing. And every time they asked, I would refuse to give them the satisfaction of my words because it wasn't any of their bloody business.

I tugged off my shirt and jeans and took out a clean shirt and some shorts along with my shin guards and cleats as the conversations started back up around me.

Jace slid on the bench next to me. "Did you shag her?" he asked, wondering not in a way to spread gossip, but because he sincerely wanted to know.

Jace Layton was the type of person who knows you better than you do, but plays dumb about it. So even though I knew he already knew the answer, I told him anyways just so there wasn't any confusion.

"No, Jace. You know how I feel about Lynn. James knows I didn't either, he's just being an arse."

"When is James not being an arse?" he said slyly.

Jace Layton was also the type of person who was sure of himself, but I've known him long enough to hear his self-doubt to see that it only shows on the outside. Saying he was loyal to his mates would be an insult, but he was not afraid to put you in your place if you do something even remotely stupid - which was probably why he had to make sure I didn't do anything with Lynn, he was ready to smack me upside the head and give me a lecture if I had.

After I got all my things on, I walked out with the rest of the lads to the arena, wanting practice to be over with. When we all got out there, Lynn wasn't to be found. I instructed the lads to do a quick stretch before they ran around the field while I talked to Coach.

"What's the game plan?" I asked, standing next to him.

"I reckon we should keep it light," Coach said as he looked out at the players who had started running. "We have two weeks until our next game and I want to focus on Lynn for today. See how she works and what I can do to have her and the players work well together. That means you, too, Horan."

"So, are you thinking of just scrimmaging today?" I asked because if I knew anything about football (and I did, obviously) it was that scrimmaging was the best way to learn your players strengths and weaknesses.