036 | krypton

× Horan

The Grand Union Brixton is a bar a few minutes away from campus, and it just so happened to be at its fullest party level when I arrived at ten. I looked around the crowded room until I spotted Thomas, Jace, and Matt sitting at the bar. I made my way over to them and took a seat next to Matt.

"It's about time you got here," he shouted over the booming music. He tapped the bar counter with his palm to get the tender's attention. "Ay! Can I get a pint for my mate here?"

The bartender gave him a stiff nod before he pulled out a glass from under the counter and started making a drink. The place was dimly lit, the only source of light was coming from some yellow lamps on the tables and cheap looking chandeliers. There was a bright pink neon sign that read "pleasure room" with an arrow pointing to a back room and I watched as a lad in a pair of slacks with only three buttons done on his shirt opened the door and exited with a satisfied gin on his face.

I had never been in that room and plan on never doing so. Just the sound of it sounded like it was unsanitary.

"Scouting for chicks?" Thomas asked me from around Matt. The bartender placed a beer in front of me and I didn't hesitate to take a large drink of it. "This place is pretty wild, I'm sure there's someone here looking for a good time."

I shook my head at him. "I'm just simply here to drink enough to get drunk."

"The bathrooms in this place are wicked!" someone expressed as they joined our group.

I looked over and saw Chloe lean against the counter next to Thomas. I had to question her appearance because I knew for a fact she didn't hang out with Thomas, or Jace and Matt, and especially not me.

I quickly did another scan of the room to see if Abby was somewhere lurking in the shadows, but I couldn't see her anywhere.

"The mirrors are framed with neon lights and the décor was like a Hawaiian theme. There was a cheap paper flamingo taped on the stall door watching me pee!"

"You've never been here before?" Jace asked her, taking another drink of his beer.

"No," she expressed with a shake of her head, her short blonde hair grazing across her bare shoulders. "Not here. I've been to the bar just down the street. I'm not going back there, not since some old man grabbed my butt."

"Hey, Chloe," I started, not giving a shit about old men grabbing things they shouldn't. She looked over at me with curiosity. "Do you know if Lynn is feeling any better?"

She thought for a moment. "Feeling better? I didn't know she was sick... I saw her in our room with some lad and she seemed fine to me."

"What? What were they doing? Do you know him?"

Chloe shook her head nonchalantly, looking board of the conversation. "Nope, never seen him before. They were just talking, but when I walked in they were pretty close. Lynn made sure to step away from him when I entered, though. He was pretty hot in a ruggedly-"

"Mate."

I turned to see Jace looking down at my hands on the table. I followed his gaze to see that they were balled into fists. I quickly removed them from the table and placed them in my lap, but not before Chloe saw. She looked at me suspiciously, but I turned my back on her.

Matt took a sip of his drink and placed it on the counter before he looked at me. "Can I ask you something?"

Matt Reid reminded me of a little kid. Not because he looked young, but just the way he did things sometimes. He would push the peas on his plate to the very edge so they wouldn't "contaminate" the other food. He avoids the cracks in the pavement. Bubble wrap is his go-to enjoyment. He's always making wishes on dandelions and eyelashes. And when he asks a question, he always makes this face like he's worried he's being annoying.