013 | aluminum

× Mercury

I was really regretting not asking Niall about transportation in the University as I walked out of the arena after practice and looked around the nearly empty parking lot.

I was an idiot.

I had no idea where I was and how to get back to the hall I lived in. My dorm was on the other side of campus, roughly five miles away if not more. I would be walking hours aimlessly, which, I guess is fine. It's just I have better things to do.

The parking lot was empty of people, including the strange small girl with the camera earlier, and there were only a few cars parked, scattered about. One car, though, I recognized as the slick, black Jaguar Niall drove me to practice in. Knowing that was my best bet to get anywhere, I walked over to the car and waited for him to return.

I prayed someone else would emerge from the building before him so I didn't have to interact with Niall again today, but of course, that didn't happen.

"No," was the first thing out of his mouth as he walked toward his car, keys in hand. He was in the same clothes he got to practice in, except his denim jacket was over his arm instead as the heat from practice was enough to keep him warm.

"You don't even know what I was going to say," I objected.

Niall seemed to think about it for a moment, almost like he was trying to figure out what I could possibly want if it wasn't whatever he thought I was going to say.

"No," he said again and unlocked his car door.

Maybe it was his cocky smile, or his big ego, or the way he's always fidgeting, but being with him made me burn with flames.

Once he noticed I obviously wasn't going to take his no for an answer, he sighed heavily and turned toward me. "What do you want?" Niall asked, the same amount of fire in his eyes as I felt. "If you think I'm giving you a ride, you're wrong."

"I just want directions," I admitted, standing my ground in front of him. The weight of my bag over my shoulder was getting heaver and heaver by the second and I knew walking to my dorm was going to kill me, and I wasn't even sure I was being over dramatic about that. "Just tell me where my dorm is and I'll leave you alone. I promise."

He looked me up and down. "You're planning on walking alone? It's passed nine and it's dark."

"I don't have much of a choice," I remind him. "Why do you sound like you care?"

"I don't care," he said stonily.

I didn't think it was possible to figure out someone's tell so quickly, but there it was and it was clear he was lying. When he said that, he moved his head too quickly and averted his gaze. And almost as quickly as he did it, he was looking at me again, probably to see if I caught him in the lie.

And I have.

"Okay, well, since you won't tell me where to go, I'll just start walking and hope for the best," I said and started walking away.

"Wait," Niall said at the same time someone else said, "I can take you."

I looked over and saw Jace walking toward us, his black hair wet and clinging to his forehead. He was out of his uniform and sporting a simple white t-shirt and jeans.

"Perfect!" Niall shouted in mock excitement and pretended like he didn't just protest in me leaving. "Now I don't have to be arsed to talk to you." He rolled his eyes before unlocking his car and climbing in.