042 | molybdenum

× Horan

I had no intention of going to Thomas Miner's Halloween party and somehow, all the way on the other side of campus, Thomas knew it. Well, not somehow. The only thing we had more in common than our obsession with sports was our inability to think more than a day ahead.

Moments after I managed to get dressed after my shower, Thomas' name popped up on my phone and I knew right then that my Monday was going to be hell.

"Horan," he said firmly before I managed to get out a brisk hello. "On your way to the party can you get some beer? Oh, and some snacks. Chips are fine. And then maybe-"

"What makes you think I'm going to your party?"

I could practically hear Thomas' eye roll through the phone. "Ha-ha-ha. But seriously. We need beer and people are going to be showing up soon. All we have here is peppermint schnapps and those are on lockdown for Andrew's girlfriend."

After a heated dispute over whether or not Thomas was going to pay for all the beer and snacks, one of Thomas' roommates interjecting himself halfway through to settle the matter with aggressive threats hinting that one of us was going to lose a limb soon if someone didn't help him clean up the kitchen, I found myself at the house with a beer in hand as all the guest piled in.

The place was quickly filled with convicts in orange jump suits, cheerleaders, gladiators, French maids, pirates, cops, firemen, and about two dozen black cats and witches. The girls took the opportunity and the excuse of the holiday to dress up in the most skin-revealing outfits imaginable, and for the males to feel like they were too good for the silly concept of dressing up and just putting on a simple mask and calling it good.

"Mate, where's your costume?" Jace asked above the music blasting from the living area. He leaned against the counter next to me and stole a chip, popping it into his mouth.

I looked him up and down, and then at his face. "Who the fuck are you supposed to be?"

Jace had his hair jelled and falling down over his forehead and a small cut on his cheek made from makeup. He was wearing a dirty brown shirt under a ripped denim jacket and dark jeans, finishing the look with muddy boots.

"I'm Johnny Cade," he said like it was supposed to be obvious. When I still didn't get it, he pushed harder. "You know, from The Outsiders."

I shrugged. "Sorry."

The house was the tackiest thing in the world. On the walls were stickers of dripping blood and paper bats hang from the ceiling. Carved pumpkins lined the steps outside and shadow figures stick to the windows. The kitchen island had an array of foods from cheese and crackers on a platter and an unlimited supply of candy in a large plastic witch cauldron. It reminded me of Halloween when I was younger and the nanny tried her best to make the cold house as warm as possible with all the cheap decorations.

"Have you seen Lynn?" Jace asked before taking the seat beside me and opened a beer. "I called before I left but she didn't answer."

"No, you said she was coming with that Harry lad."

"She is, but I thought she would have been here by now."

Right then, as if summoned by our thoughts, stood Lynn in the doorway, draped in the most striking dress I had ever seen.

The first thing I noticed were her never ending California tanned legs. They were accented with golden sandals that stopped just above her ankles. Her caramel brown hair was pulled away from her perfectly done face and curled down her back with a gold laurel wreath, and matching were thick cuffs around her wrist and an elegant looking belt around her waist.