101 | mendelevium

× Mercury

"You're not wearing a cast so that must be a good sign," Hannah Steele, a reporter for ESPN, said across from me. "Everyone's dying to know what happened."

I was currently sitting in one of the seats of the stands at the arena, looking out at the field in front of me. A man was located behind a camera a few feet away and a microphone boom was position outside of frame above me.

Originally this interview was scheduled after the game on Saturday, but considering what happened, it was postponed for today. Hannah was from America, Connecticut to be exact. Before the interview, she had confided in me saying that if any other interview was postponed, she would have given up as she was a busy woman, but since she traveled four thousand miles to get here, and considering my ankle was one of the top sports news at the moment, she thought it was worth staying an extra couple of days to get the scoop. She also told me that I was kind of a big deal and "absolutely needed to sit down and talk to you".

"It's a sprained ankle," I explained with a foolish smile. "It's not a big deal, but because of what happened last year, the trauma resurfaced and made the pain unbearable to even walk."

"But everything's okay now, right?" Hannah asked. "You'll be able to play in the next game?"

"Fingers crossed. I still have to take care of the sprain, but hopefully recovery will be finished in two weeks."

Behind the camera man stood Coach and Matt. Coach had to be there as he was interviewed before me, and Matt was only there because he was my ride to and from. Jamie and Jace would have been there as well, but they were currently at Hazel's funeral. It sucked that I couldn't be with them, especially since I actually met Hazel, but even without the interview, I wasn't so sure I could go because of my ankle.

"Ever since coming here to London, your fan count has been through the roof," Hannah was saying. "You've been mentioned on some of the biggest sports stations around the world and even had a cover photoshoot with captain of the team, Niall Horan. This groundbreaking division of male and female teammates obviously doesn't happen every day, but you're in the center of changing history. How does all this publicity make you feel?"

"I don't really notice it that much," I told her honestly. "There are times where I have to remind myself that I can't do this or say that; it can be frustrating as I'm sure it is for any kind of celebrity, sports or whatnot. But it does have its perks."

Hannah grinned and moved in closer. "What kind of perks are we talking about?"

"Since joining the team, recruiters have been coming to our practices and games to check out the team," I explained, knowing this wasn't what she had in mind for the perks. "Reece Walker has been offered multiple teams to join as well as James Moor and Dylan Dixon. Even teammates who aren't graduating until next spring have been getting calls to set up interviews. Coach Mathews told me that this has been the largest amount of interest his team has had in a long time."

"Coming to London not only helped you, but you're teammates as well. I call that a win-win. They probably love you for this, don't they?"

I looked over at Matt, who was one of the players who got a phone call to set up an interview even though he had a whole year of school left. He gave me a smile and a curt nod.

"I'd think so."

"Since joining the boy's team, you gained a lot of young girls who look up to you," Hannah said. "Is there anything you want to tell them?"

I've lived in a family that supported me, more specifically; I had a mom who gave me all the right advice. Unfortunately, not everyone was that blessed. I was never one to have a voice about anything, even if I tried, no one would listen. But now that I had grown both as a person and in popularity statures, this was my time to get my message across to the girls who needed the guidance.