104 | rutherfordium

× Mercury

I've had people tell me that they've been on cloud nine before, or feeling like their floating on air or some kind of euphoria. But I never truly knew the extent of what that meant exactly until I was hobbling down the hallway of the Aspen House, thinking back of the event that just happened in the gym.

Niall was my first love. He wasn't my first kiss, he wasn't the first person I slept with, but he was the first person that made me feel like words were better left unsaid because the feelings couldn't be controlled. It was going to take effort and energy to make this work, but we were growing together. I realized that it wasn't a perfect relationship because there is no such thing, but I knew that it always felt right between us.

And those were the thoughts floating in my head when I opened the door to my dorm just in time for a short, redheaded girl to come flying at me in a big, bear hug.

"I was so worried about you!" Jamie shouted, refusing to let me go. "Where the hell did you go!?"

Trying my hardest to stay upright from the crash of a body against me all the while trying to keep off my ankle, I leaned against the wall for some support. "The gym," I assured her. "I needed some air and ended up at the gym."

"Well you scared me half to death," she pouted, pulling away from me. "I've tried calling you a hundred times but you never answered."

Guilt washed over me as I made my way to my bed. "I turned the volume off. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I'm sorry; I should have called and told you where I was."

Jamie didn't say anything, and instead grabbed the bag of ice that had now turned into water and left the room. I groaned both because of my stupidity and because of the throbbing pain in my ankle as I sat in my bed and leaned against the wall. Being a better friend starts now.

A few minutes later Jamie walked back into the room and plopped the bag of ice next to my foot. I took it and gently placed it on my ankle, teeth clenched together as the sudden chill ran straight through my calf and up my body. I watched Jamie as she took a seat on the edge of the bed, still not saying anything.

"Niall was there," I said into the silence.

Jamie whipped her head in my direction, eyes big. "And...?"

"I told him."

She stared at me for a moment, like she was trying to process what that meant. But the second she knew, it was like the world suddenly lit up because she was hopping on her feet and smacked my leg as hard as she could.

"Shut up!" she shrieked excitedly.

"Ow!" I yelled and grabbed my calf where she hit me. "I already have a throbbing ankle; I don't need a Charley horse on top of that."

She ignored me and jumped - she literally bounced like an enthusiastic bunny - around the room. "I knew it! I flipping knew it!" Then she grabbed her phone and started pressing buttons before holding it up to her ear.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Who are you calling?"

Again, she ignored me and turned her back in my direction. I distantly heard a muffle voice on the other end but it was cut off by Jamie's, "You owe me ten dollars!"

I rolled my eyes and sunk further into my bed, pulling a blanket over my lap. I wasn't even a little shocked that she would place a bet on this with Jace. I was surprised, however, that I didn't see it coming.