084 | polonium

× Mercury

I arrived in Mullingar early the next morning; so early the moon was still bright in the sky.

The town Niall grew up in was the smallest town I had ever been to, but that wasn't saying much, I was born in Las Angeles after all. But the place was cute with its old buildings and pubs on every corner, broken neon signs and brightly colored houses with the Christmas lights still up. The sidewalks were deserted and the only cars I saw on the streets were the ones parked at the curbs.

I had given the cab driver the address Jace had texted me, and I now stood in front of a small, brick house with my duffle bag slung over my shoulder. It was a two-story home with a little patio jutting out from the front door that wrapped around the corner. It looked really homey with the soft red of the bricks complementing the snow on the ground, and the white windows and doors were bright and welcoming.

I rang the doorbell and hoped for the best.

The second my finger left the bell, I started to panic. What if this was the wrong house? What if no one was home? I wouldn't have anywhere to stay. I could always go to the hospital and see if they were there, but that would only get me so far. I wasn't family, but I would always lie and say that I was cousin. Or maybe-

The knob turned and the door opened.

It wasn't Niall.

The guy at the door looked tired and utterly annoyed that he was disturbed so early in the morning, and I didn't really blame him. He looked to be a few years older than me with short brown hair and an athletic build. He was wearing plaid pajama pants and a long sleeved shirt.

"Uh, is Niall here?" I asked, hoping this was his brother and not some random dude.

The guy looked at me oddly, but then something must have clicked because then he ushered me inside. But I didn't move. If this wasn't his brother, then I wasn't taking the chance of entering some stranger's house.

"Yes, he's here," he told me with a friendly smile. "I'm his brother, Greg."

That was enough confirmation I needed to step through the threshold. The inside of the house was just as homely as the outside. The wooden flowers were a deep mahogany and the walls a nice cream color. Pictures frames, books, and knickknacks were on every flat surface.

"You must be Lynn," Greg spoke again, walking behind me as I took in the living space. "I don't know anyone else with an American accent that would be at my door."

"Lynn?" I spun around and saw Niall at the top of the stairs, looking at me like I was a ghost. I watched as he slowly made his way down the steps. "What are you doing here? How are you here?"

My heart did a little jump in my chest when I saw him. Niall looked exactly the same when he left me in his room. His hair was a mess and he was in sweatpants and a t-shirt. It was evident that he hasn't been sleeping well and it was more than likely had to do with his own mind not wanting to shut off. Even in the dim lighting of the living room I could see that his eyes were dark with anger.

"Jace," I explained softly. "He told me about your mom's second attack and I came as soon as I could."

"I told you not to come," he chided, stepping off the last step. "I specifically said to stay in London."

I really thought the breakthrough would come when I showed my face in Mullingar, but the shutters came down and his emotion were walled off behind a mask of coping. The only thing I was clear on was that he wasn't too happy to see me, and that upset me a little.