113 | nihonium

× Horan

I was hoping to find Professor Haskins in the chemistry lab to ask for advice on everything that has been going on. I've gone to her before about Lynn - before things made sense - so I was hoping she had any tips to get through this bump, unlike what Professor Lawtherd had provided me without my asking.

But when I went to check it out, the door was locked and the room dark. I had the key to get in, but seeing as she wasn't inside, I had no reason to go in.

So I somehow found myself in the arena instead.

It had been two days since Lynn and I talked to Coach in his office, and news had quickly gotten out that we had been kicked off the team. It wasn't a mystery why, but that didn't mean they weren't furious with Coach's decision. Jace had told me that it had gotten as far as Coach receiving emails of death threats.

The team was furious, tried everything they could to have Coach change his mind. They even went as far as collectively telling him that they were quitting the team, but the moment Lynn and I heard that, we quickly shot that idea down. As much as I would kill to get back on the team, I already brought one person down with me, I didn't want to put anyone else in that situation. However, I'm not sure how long the team would last now that James was the captain. Having that title means you need respect from everyone on the team, and since everyone knows he was part of the reason Lynn and I were no longer on that team, that respect would be nothing short then zero.

Lynn and I were called The Royal Duo for a reason. We were a powerhouse together, and now that we were both off the team, it didn't take a genius to figure out the odds of the London Lions winning the BUSA.

But at this point, I didn't give a shit about that anyways.

Any hope of me going professionally after this had lower odds than the team winning the trophy.

Out of pure anger, I booted the checkered ball with my foot and watched it hit the top right corner of the goal and swoosh into the net. Laughing to myself at what a flawless kick and no one was around to see it, I pulled the bottom of my shirt up and wiped the sweat from my forehead.

Even though I was off the team, Coach still gave me access to the arena as well as the equipment. But I didn't need anything other than a net and a ball.

I ran toward the goal and dribbled the ball back to the edge of the penalty box. My mind instantly cleared of any trouble and was taken over by football drills and scenarios. If an opponent player were to come toward my right, I would back track slightly and maneuver around him before making the goal. If the goalie were to slide into me, I'd make sure to take note and aim for one of the corners before he even had the chance.

With my ears pounding of the echoing silence of the arena, I backed up and stood a few feet away from the ball. Bouncing on the toes of my feet, I quickly went into motion and booted the ball toward the goal.

I was cursing myself before it even hit the medal post and rolled away toward the sidelines.

No matter how absorbed I might think I was, there wasn't anything that could take away the fact that my future was a huge black hole of nothingness. And that would always be on the back of my mind.

I followed the ball as it came to a rolling stop at someone's feet. I looked from their black Nike trainers up to their blue jean cladded legs with a black buttoned jumper tucked into the front. I stood in the penalty box and watched as Lynn bent down and picked up the ball, spinning it in her hands.