Chapter 6 | goodbyes & hellos

McKayla's POV:

I stirred awake, as the bright Californian sun glistened through the curtains. I tried to sit up, but something was preventing me. I turned around and saw Ryan there peacefully sleeping with his arm draped over me. That's when it all clicked. I remember the storm got really bad last night, so I offered Ryan to stay here for the night. I quietly and carefully removed his arm and walked over to my closet.

I quietly take a pair of skinny jeans out, with one of my many NASCAR shirts. I quickly changed in the room before Ryan could wake up. I brush through my hair and applied little makeup on.

"Ryan, it's time to wake up your plane leaves in two hours," I say lightly shaking him awake.

"Ten more minutes mom." He groans.

"Ryan, I'm not your mom." I laughed. He groans again and pulls the covers over his head. "Alright, I guess I'm gonna have to do this the hard way." I sighed. I get a grip on the mattress, and lifting it, causing Ryan to fall off. I laughed and set the mattress back down in its place. "I swear to god if that didn't work-" I mumbled walk to the other side of the bed. There he was... Still sleeping. I bend down to make sure he was actually sleeping and not just pretending.

"Got ya!" Ryan says pulling me down to the floor.

"Ryan!" I smacked his chest.

"Yes?" He asks innocently.

"I swear Blaney." I rolled my eyes. "You need to get up, your plane leaves soon," I added getting off the ground. He pouts about it, but finally gets up and grabs his shirt off the floor.

"Hey McKayla." Jenna groans trudging her way to her bed.

"You okay? You don't look too well." I state.

"I'm fine. Just have a massive hangover is all." She lies. I could see hickies all over her neck Before she collapsed on her bed.

"Hey Ry, do you need a ride to the airport?" I ask.

"No, I can just call a cab." He says grabbing his phone. I nod and scrolled through social media.

@hannah_jones: cannot believe it's been 16 years! @mckaylaelliott you are my best friend in the whole entire world. I don't know what I would do without you in my life! I love you sooooo much! **inserted pictures**

@mckaylaelliott: sometimes it feels only like days and some days it feels like centuries. Nothing can replace my best friend in the whole entire world. I cannot believe its been 16 years with my bestie! all the memories we have had I will always hold dear to my heart. From the time we went to Paris to the time we went to England. I love you soooooo much @hannah_jones

A few minutes passed until Ryan's phone buzzed

A few minutes passed until Ryan's phone buzzed. "Alrighty, the cab is here." He sighs.

"I'll walk you out," I reply pulling myself off the couch. I walked Ryan downstairs, and outside the dorm to the parking lot. Ryan turns around and pulls me into his embrace. We stood there like that for what seemed like an eternity. It's kinda funny just thinking that a couple of weeks ago, I hated him, I was afraid of him. Now here we are... It's almost liked nothing happened. It's perfect. Almost too perfect.

"When am I going to see you again?" Ryan mumbles.

"Hopefully Charlotte, but I don't know. If not it won't be until Indy." I replied closing my eyes. It prevented the tears to stay in, well at least for a few moments. "I'll miss you, Ryan. Thanks for stopping by." I smiled pulling away.

"I'll miss you too. Charlotte or Indy cannot come fast enough." He sighs. The driver honks his horn, rushing Ryan a bit. "Well, I guess this is goodbye for now," Ryan adds giving me one last hug. "Bye Mac." He waves climbing in the back seat. I waved back and watched as the car drove away and became smaller and smaller.

There's no way I could still love him or even have the slightest feelings for him... Could I? If it isn't love, then what is it?

||One week later||

"Thanks for letting me in mom." I smiled putting all of my bags in Chase's motor home. A had a few weeks for break, so I decided be on the road with the guys for this weekend in Kansas, then Dover, and then in Charlotte. After Charlotte, I would graduate college, then I have to find a PR job somewhere.

"No problem sweetie." She smiles. "Your brother is going to be so excited when he sees you!" She exclaims. The boys and Kaylie didn't know that I was here.

"Is he at final practice or something?" I ask.

"Xfinity qualifying. He's running the 88 for JRM too, and then Ryan is running Xfinity too." She replies. "They should be almost over." She adds turning on the TV. They showed the starting grid and Ryan had won the pole, and Chase qualified second!

"Hey sweetheart," Dad says walking in. "I'm glad you could make it out this weekend." He smiles giving me a tight hug.

"I'm glad too." I smiled brightly. I've always been closer to dad than my mom. Chase has always been closer to mom than dad. It's kinda weird. You would think the two racers would be closer since they have a lot more in common.

"Hey sweetheart, good qualifying effort." Mom smiles as Chase walks up the steps.

"Thanks mom." He sighs. "I just wished Mac was here." He takes a deep breath and exhales.

"Who said I wasn't here?" I chimed in. Chase slowly turns around. A smile grows on his face. He walks over fast and pulls me into a tight hug. "Well, I can see I've been missed." I laughed hugging him back.

"What are you doing here? I thought you weren't coming for another two weeks!" He exclaims giving me the death hug.

"Chase can't breathe here," I say.

"Oh sorry." He laughs letting go of me.

"I'm on break. I got done with all my classes early." I smiled.

||Couple hours later||

"Rock and roll bro." I fist-bump my brother. I leave and walked a car down over to the 6 car. "Hey man, can I have your autograph," I say in a weird voice.

"No sorry, I'm about to get in my ca-. MAC-KAY DOG!" Bubba exclaims. I shushed him. "Why?" He asks in a whisper.

"Ryan doesn't know I'm here," I reply. He nods and gives me a hug before climbing into his car. "Good luck Bub." I smile. I walked back over the 88 Tax Slayer pit box and settled down taking out my scanner.

"Drivers! Start your engines!"

||Last Lap||

"Come on Ryan!" I cheered. Through the early goings, Chase and Ryan were swapping leads. Until about halfway. Chase had a loose wheel, so he had to come to pit road, and then he lost a lap. He still hasn't gotten it back, and then Bubba crashed thanks to Kyle Busch.

"Ryan Blaney will win at Kansas!"

"Yes!" I smiled. I climbed down from Chase's pit box and started walking towards victory lane. Ryan was the only one who didn't know I was here yet. Once I arrived at the gate, Ryan was unstrapping himself from his car. He slides out and stands on the ledge of the window cheering with his team. He did a couple of interviews before I went up to him finally went up to him.

"Well, I'm glad I came," I say it loud enough.

"Huh?" He says turning around. "McKayla! What are you doing here?" He exclaimed pulling me into a tight hug.

"I'm done with school." I smiled looking into his eyes.

"I've missed you," Ryan says.

"I've missed you too." I smiled.