The Faces Beyond The Wall

Glancing around your surroundings, you find yourself trapped in an unlit, empty, and seemingly endless abyss. Each step you take echoes loudly through the deafening silence, sending chills up your spine.

'Hello?' you timidly call out, your voice shaky.

There's no response.

Groaning, you clench your eyes shut and rub your temples, softly shaking your head.

'This is a dream... You're going to wake up soon... This is just a bad, bad dream,' you mutter to yourself.

'Are you sure this is just a dream?' a male voice calls out, echoing loudly throughout the vast nothingness.

You quickly open your eyes and scan the area; there's still no one there.

Now completely panicked, you grab your chest as your heart starts to race at an unnatural speed.

'Behind you,' the same voice whispers in your ear.

You hurriedly turn around, both eager and scared to see who exactly has been following you. Your eyes still see nothing but darkness. Where are you? And how did you get here?

Suddenly, a pale white hand reaches out from the ground beneath you, roughly grabbing your ankle. You let out a shriek as you're pulled down, down into the darkness-

You shoot up in bed, sweat glistening off of your body. Without hesitation you rip off the sheets and glance down at your ankle. There weren't any visible bruises or marks on your skin, but that dream was just so vivid! 

"Hey, I'm leaving for work! See you tonight?" you hear your roommate call from downstairs. 

"Alright, bye," you reply loudly before glancing at the clock on your nightstand. 

With a groan you tiredly rub your eyes. 9:00 was much too early to be awake on a Friday! You swing your legs out of bed, shuffling out of your bedroom and down the stairs towards the kitchen. As you pour yourself a cup of coffee, your mind naturally wanders to the strange dreams you've been having lately. They've been coming to you more and more frequently, almost like a premonition that something strange was going on. 

Your thoughts are interrupted as your phone begins to vibrate. You lazily take it out of your sweatshirt pocket and press answer

"Hello?" you murmur, your voice raspy from lack of use. 

"Are you sick?" your best friend asks with a small laugh. 

"Not funny. You know I sound like a man in the morning, Roxas. What's up?"