Roxas

"I look at you and see the rest of my life in front of my eyes"

[♥]

It's harder than you thought possible, making your way down the hallway to finally speak to your best friend for the first time in a week. Your hands are shaking almost uncontrollably as you reach out to hesitantly knock on his bedroom door.

No response.

You knock again, this time with more gusto.

Silence.

With a frown, you place your hand on the doorknob, slowly turning it in your palm. A quiet click echoes through the hall, and, gulping, you open the door to Roxas' room. Your eyes widen in shock and dismay when you're greeted by an empty room. The bed is perfectly made, the closet is empty. Roxas has left.

A hand flies to your mouth, a feeble attempt at quieting a sob as it leaves your mouth. Your free hand rests on his dresser, stabilizing yourself as your knees grow weak. Never in your life had you hated yourself more than you currently do. 'Damn it, Vanitas,' you think to yourself, the hand resting over your mouth clenching into a fist, 'you were too late.'

You push yourself to your feet from your leaning position against the dresser, walking to Roxas' bed. It's like you're in a dream – or maybe a nightmare – knowing that he left without you, after you had pushed him away and ignored him. You followed him into this world, into this journey, knowing that in the end he'd be by your side.

How wrong you were.

You sit on the bed, a strange crunching noise greeting you as soon as you sit. Narrowing your eyes you stand up, glancing down. You practically do a double take when you realize a folded piece of paper is sitting on his bed, with your name written across it. With the speed of light you grab the paper, all but ripping it open. Your eyes fly across the paper, taking in Roxas' neat handwriting.

[Name],

Ven has done a good job of keeping you secluded, despite my repeated attempts to sneak in and see you. This isn't the way I wanted to tell you I'm leaving, but so be it. I understand why you need your space, but please, don't push me away for too long.

With Xemnas gone and the Organization disbanded, I'm leaving SOLDIER... again. Living with you in Twilight Town taught me that I don't need a heart to live a normal life. I'm just not built to be a fighter, like Sora. Guess that makes us different after all, huh?

You can imagine the smirk on his face as he writes the last sentence, causing you to laugh lightly as you shake your head.

Anyway, I miss you. If it were up to me, I'd stay at Headquarters until you're up and moving, but I can't. I'll be in Twilight Town, waiting for you. Come find me when you're ready.

Love,

Roxas