The World That Never Was

The first thought that runs through your head as you glance around your surroundings is the realization that you're standing in a dark alleyway. Tall buildings block your view of the world, and all you can see are colors of blue and gray. A plop of water falls on your cheek, and you glance up with an arm shielding your eyes. Rain is falling from the sky, dark clouds gathering above.

"Welcome to our world," Axel speaks up, a bitter smile on his face.

"This is where you lived?" you ask softly, glancing between the redhead and his blond counterpart.

"Yeah," Roxas agrees, flicking his wrist so that the bones of his hand crack. "For awhile at least. I didn't last long here."

"He ran away," Axel explains, laughing a bit as he shakes his head.

"Better to run away than stay here and help Xemnas," Riku points out with a knowing glance.

Axel rolls his emerald eyes, a glowing chakram appearing in his hand as he starts to walk forward.

"You of all people know the allure of darkness," Axel finally retorts, looking back with a smirk at the silverette before turning the corner and disappearing.

You can hear Riku scoff, but you barely register his displeasure. All that's on your mind is the sight before you as you step out of the alley. Above the dark streets and buildings of the world is a large, gray castle against the backdrop of a dusky sky. A pink light is shining through the clouds, but you're unable to make out what it belongs to.

"The Organization's stronghold," Zack explains, noticing your confused expression.

"It's huge," you mutter, shaking your head a bit.

Just how is your small group of 16 supposed to take on something so dauntingly massive? The Organization could be hiding anywhere in that castle, just waiting to strike...

"If we take them by surprise, we have the upper hand," Roxas announces. "The independent nature of Nobodies makes our defense system very weak. If we take them one-by-one, it's going to be a pretty easy fight."

"And what if they team up together?" Terra asks with a raise of his eyebrows.

"Then we fight to the death. No other options," Cloud responds with a shrug.

You swallow an uncomfortable lump in your throat, your fingers subconsciously gripping the hilt of your black sword.

Don't freak out, don't freak out...

"Alright, let's go," Leon finally decides, slinging his gunblade over one shoulder as your group starts to walk through another dark alley.

The rain falling on you is light, so light that you can barely feel it. But your bare arms are starting to shiver from the cool breeze moving past your slowly dampening body. Your hair is starting to cling awkwardly to your neck, from an embarrassing combination of sweat and rain. The world is quiet, which would normally help to calm your nerves, but right now it only heightens your senses. It was almost too easy.