Poker Face

You feel like you're weightless, as you float head-first through the darkness. Your eyes can barely open, the pressure of the air surrounding you stifling and constricting.

'What's... what's happening to me? Falling, falling into the darkness...'

A spec of light suddenly appears in the distance, and you clench your eyes shut as the light grows blindingly bright. You try to cover your eyes with your arms, but it's impossible to move your body. With a gasp you find yourself plunged into water, unable to breathe.

"Feels like we were just walking this way..."

Your eyes widen. That voice... it was so familiar, like a long-lost friend.

"I hope it's Vanitas. Next time I see him, he's gonna be burned to a crisp."

Vanitas?! That name makes your heart skip a beat. With as much strength as you can muster you start to swim to the surface, struggling against invisible weights dragging you down to the ocean floor. The voices are practically screaming in your head, driving you crazy yet giving you power.

"C'mon little guy," a voice echoes in your head. How have you not drowned yet? The water is overwhelming, filling your lungs with each breath, and yet you keep fighting. "I'm not gonna hurt ya."

Who is that...? You grit your teeth as you start kicking your feet, shooting towards the surface. It's almost at your fingertips, you're so close!

"C'mon [Name]. I know it's you. It's me, Sora."

"So-ra," you whisper, the name dancing off your tongue. "Sora..."

Your hand flies out of the water, warm air hitting your skin. Something starts to push at your feet, shoving you out of the water. Your face pops out of the water, followed by your chest, torso, hips, legs... You continue to soar, floating up into the air like a weightless balloon. Without looking back you instead gaze up, smiling when you spot another stream of light above you. It starts to grow, enveloping you in its warmth.

"[Name]!"

Your eyes snap open, your heart racing as you glance around your surroundings. Hovering over your bed is Yuffie and Xion, watching you with worried expressions.

"Sorry. You were screaming in your sleep," Xion mumbles, smiling sadly as her hand drops from your shoulder.

You sit up, running a shaky hand through your matted hair. You're covered in sweat, and your clothes are clinging to your damp body.

"S-Sorry. It was just a nightmare."

"Don't apologize," Yuffie quickly tells you, taking a step back as you stand to your feet. "Are you... okay?"

"Y-Yeah," you stammer, precariously taking a step towards them as they walk backwards out of the room. Cid had been nice enough to lead your group to his apartment, and give everyone a place to crash. They, of course, had insisted that you take the bed. It's not every day your heart leaves your body, after all. "Where's everyone else?"