Task One: Show Your Cards

March 10th, 2016; 6:30 pm: Milena Seble

The minute hand of the quartz clock that sits in the dining hall points south when the first guests begin to trickle into the banquet hall. Be it the high ceilings or luscious dark carpets, something makes the atmosphere seem a little subdued. But as the numbers grow from a handful to a dozen and over, things start to liven up and the room begins to brighten. Mutters can be heard as conversations are struck like matches.

"Nah, I'm a much better gambler than Zahra. She's visited my home casino a few times, and I've beaten her at her own game more times than you might think," Kol smirks to a group of guests.

Standing next to him, Zahra can be seen rolling her eyes at yet another one of Kol's ego-boosting stories.

"Please, Kol. I let you win, and you are very well aware of that," Zahra scoffs.

Kol bites back some laughter, and lengthens his grin, as the guests watch the two in amusement.

"She underestimated me, and now she's denying it. Let me tell you guys, Zahra is the type of woman who --"

"Do continue. Enlighten us all on the type of woman I am," Zahra challenges.

Not far away from the bickering pair, Arcana gingerly eyes them with her dark violet irises, delicately spooning the last bit of her spinach and ricotta stuffed ravioli into her mouth.

Beginning to tire of watching her fellow gamblers bicker for what she counted as the fourth time since the night started, she strides towards the black marble tables that have been draped in white satin tablecloths. Turning her attention onto the various delicacies that were served, they were so plentiful that the tables stretched from one corner of the room to the far end of the other.

On the other end of the table, was none other than Emerson, with a plate of food in hand, chatting up a group of guests as they made their rounds to each Ace.

Pausing in the midst of their conversation, Emerson takes a moment to glance around the room. They could easily tell that all twenty of their guests had arrived - their watch read 6:44 pm - with not too much time to waste. Politely ending their prior discussion, the melodic clinking of a metal spoon hitting glass is heard, the many conversations die down, and all eyes are directed at Emerson.

"We'd like to thank you all for being able to be here with us on this eventful evening." Their crisp and clear voice distinctly travels around the room.

"As the saying goes, 'time is money' and that will ring true, here tonight. That being said, do enjoy your time while the night is still young."

The guests applaud, and the chatters ensue. A bottle of Merlot is opened and poured into the wine glass that was used by Emerson. Not missing the looks of eagerness on the faces of the other three Aces, they take a sip of the rich red wine and raise the glass above their head.

~~~

THE TASK

Welcome players, (or as Zahra would say, benvenuto), to the first task of Author Games: Ace of Spades! Your first task for these games will be none other than a lovely free reign task. We're giving you three options to choose from:

1. Write the moment your character receives and/or accepts the invitation to Milena Seble.

2. Write any moment in your character's life before showing up at Milena Seble, as long as it shows why they are in need of money.

3. Write the banquet before the games start, and what your character does during that time.

You are allowed to include more than one of the choices, we trust that you know what you're doing if you do so. Keep in mind that the Aces will be choosing sponsorships based off how well you do on this task so be sure to play your cards well!

If you happen to have any questions that aren't answered above, do message, comment or even email us about it!

SLOT MACHINES: Not available this task.

KILLS: None, we want to be fair for everyone. Which also means that no one will be leaving.

WORD LIMIT: 2,700 words

DEADLINE: Sunday, May 8th, 1pm BST