Task Four: Roll It

March 11th, 2016; 12:00 am: Milena Seble

"...you know, Princess, it might be easier if you just admit that I'm better than you at your own game."

"Oh come on," Zahra scoffs. "You beat me once. Once out of the thousands of times we've played."

"My team just won that game of Hold'em too, so you might want to rephrase that statement."

Arcana, ever the quiet one, starts chuckling and mutters under her breath, "Get a room."

Kol laughs; Zahra doesn't look so happy.

"Well," Emerson interjects, bringing the topic back to the game going on outside, "I'm glad your last challenge for them went successfully; I've reported the events to Mort and he's very pleased as well. Now, I trust the deaths have been entered into the computer program, Kol?"

Kol sighs. "Emer, you're such a killjoy; we're having fun here and you're always the one to bring the topic back to business."

"So is that a no?"

"Yeah...no," Kol drawls.

Emerson walks over to the computer and enters the names quickly, their fingers moving in a quick rhythm to some imaginary beat in their head. Eventually, Emerson stands up straight and hits the Enter button. All four Aces take a step back as the faces are projected in the gambling hall.

Garson Blake

Emma Smith

Coraline Keller

Kol decides to break the brief moment of silence. "You know, Emer; don't tell me I've been lazy when we don't even know what you're going to do for your game yet." He smirks.

Emerson looks around sharply, fixing a glare upon Kol. Then, realising the severity of his statement, they slam themself on the couch and run their hands through their hair in anxious shock. "Oh my God; it's my game now!" they shriek, running towards the Roulette wheel at the side of the room.

"I take it you haven't thought of what to do yet?" Zahra notes with a touch of amusement.

"Give me a second and get out of the room. All of you," Emerson orders. "I need to think."

~~~

"Hello, contestants," a notably more composed Emerson greets the remaining competitors. The night seems to slip into a shade darker than before as the clock ticks twelve. Everything seems quieter, more dangerous, and something in the air feels like it's hanging on edge. Emerson thrives on this. "I take it you have enjoyed the banquet, the company, and the activities so far?"

No answer.

"Well, guess we'll have to blame the other Aces for that. I'm in charge of the next game, and it's going to be my specialty. Roulette." At this announcement, a few people look at each other cautiously and very worriedly. "Don't worry, though. Even if you die, you won't have yourself to blame."

THE TASK

Welcome to the task where you roll it! This one is a basic game of Roulette. If you're not sure of the basics of Roulette, we've linked a video above. Alternatively you could do a bit of research—it isn't too hard to get the hang of! Emerson will spin the wheel and let the little ball loose, with all the players placing bets. Players bet one by one, meaning that more than one game of Roulette will be played. The order of who goes first is up to you. If the ball lands in a pocket you have betted on, you'll be handed a gun as a reward. Your order is to shoot any player of your choice.

However, the gun you are given is a Roulette gun. This means that of all its chambers, only one contains a bullet. Whoever the gun is used on has a one in x chance of getting shot. Whether or not the person you use the gun on gets shot is up to you, but do note that your player should be more uncertain than you are when faced with this.

There is another option: for your tribute to lose. In this case, nothing should happen to your tribute. However, you must write another player winning and using the gun on your tribute.

We're looking for reactions this task—not just your character's, but those of others. What are their reactions to being directly responsible for a person's life? What are their reactions to staring death right in the face?

As for Ace characterisation, we highly recommend that you reread our Ace forms or Emerson just might be responsible for your death, fictional or not.

SLOT MACHINES: Open for the last time. If you'd like to use the slot machines this task, please inform us as soon as possible to prevent last-minute mixups. This is because all slot machine perks, as well as sponsorship perks, must be used by this task.

KILLS: 1 ballot and a maximum of 2 entry deaths. 3 will die, leaving 9 of you in the Quarter Finals.

WORD LIMIT: 1500

DEADLINE: Sunday, May 29th, 1 PM BST

NOTE: Due to this task being the one before Quarters, all extensions requested (if any) shall be of a maximum five hours only. This is because of all the Gamemakers' busy schedules and to allow all players to enter the Quarter Finals in a fair manner.

ANOTHER NOTE: Congratulations to Team Cinnabun for winning the round of Hold'em! Zahra might not be too happy but Team Cinnamon Roll, please don't get too upset, you're all brilliant writers too. And maybe no more throwing shade this time? Let's share the love like CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT <3