Task Two: Males

Adam Burke - *USED 13*

Twenty-one was my lucky number. It was not my partner's.

----------------

Blorange Orange

T I T L E = H E A R T S

The Ace of Hearts was my favorite card.

I suppose the conclusion may have been a bit rash since I had never actually played cards before last weekend. I admired it though; I found the passion that it stood for intriguing and I almost found myself envying the way it was able to change what it was for the player's convenience. I suppose my feelings toward the card are an oddity, but the card seemed to represent everything I wanted to be. I longed to be the socialite who navigated other people as if it was an art or the man so vibrant with passion it infected anyone he came into contact with.

I wasn't like that though. I was glued to the wall as I was in any situation involving more than three people. I observed them as they moved around the dimly lit room trying to make polite with those they would be trying to bankrupt in just a few minutes. The longing to be a charming and animated human being faded quickly as it usually did, after all, people who were not only insanely intelligent and confident, but savvy as well tended to set out to dominate the world in one way or another. I would hate to see myself as just another useless bloke in parliament drunk on his own power and perceived importance.

Besides, I didn't need charisma. The few people who knew me were all too aware that I was already drunk on my own ego.

I was hardly the only person drunk on one attribute or another, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that every person in this room was intoxicated blind by an endgoal. That's why we were all here, wasn't it? We were all just little monkeys in a cage for perhaps the four most delusional people in the room, the Aces.

I for one, had no problem being a monkey if it meant I got something out of it.

The doors all slammed shut simultaneously with a loud bang, causing all of the empty chatter to crease simultaneously as most of the to be players looked around uneasily. After a brief second heavy in tension a thin woman with dark hair that shone iridescent in the warm glow cast upon us by the chandelier. "I hope you all enjoyed the banquet." The woman paused casting her gaze upon the Blackjack table, placing two cards on it. "That was just to whet your appetite." Her long fingers ruffled the cards effortlessly. "I've played many games of Blackjack, but I've never been a dealer. Who's first?" The way this woman looked upon us was unnerving as she dared someone to volunteer.

"I'd love to take my chances." It was almost comical as an ancient looking woman who appeared as if her main hobby was baking cookies and gossiping about the neighbors pushed her way through the crowd until she stood before the woman. "I'm Alofie, sweetie." I was almost tempted to volunteer as it appeared she would beat easily, but something held me back. She was here for a reason just as all of us were and that unnerved me. Why would a woman nearing death's doorstep risk losing everything to wade into a pool of sharks in which she was bound to lose her head? I would hold out for devil I knew rather than one I didn't.

An unnaturally clean cut guy in a crisp suit stepped forward undoubtedly also coming to the conclusion Aolfie would be easy to beat, if I were to judge by the smirk on his face. The guy didn't waste any time greeting the dealer, instead sitting right down and sending a curt smile toward Aolfie. "The name's Adam." He commented looking right over her head at the wall rather aloofly. I followed his gaze trying to figure out what exactly was so interesting about the wall.

I felt the edge of paper cut into my skin as someone jostled my sleeve, I tore my gaze from the game commencing and found myself looking at a pale woman with warm emerald green eyes. "Sorry." The words left her lips softly before she turned toward the game.