Part 37

Hello everyone! So sorry about the delay, but here it is!

____________________________________________________

"That was a great movie, wasn't it, (y/n)? The acting, the special effects, the storyline, everything!"

"Yeah, Dad. It was," you tried your best to answer happily to the best of your ability, but the words came out blandly. You had spent the rest of your Friday after school with your father, as planned. You wished you were happier, you wished you didn't have to keep faking smiles, but most of all, you wished you didn't have to pretend that everything was A-Okay.

Your father asked you the same repeated question that he has been bringing up to you ever since you came home from a wretched, remorseful, and overall depressing school day, "(y/n), are you sure you're not upset about something?"

The same, repeated answer: "Nope. It's all good."

Your dad eyed you quizzically and plopped a piece of popcorn into his mouth. He offered you some, bringing the bag of buttery theater goodness closer to you and with it the inequitable scent that told your brain cells to eat. Enjoy the little things in life, even if it only is just a small snack. Maybe it could help you feel a little better.

But your heart told you no, so you shook your head. Your dad sighed at your decline. The two of you made it to the car and sat in silence, watching people walking by and the dark night of the evening sky. "Too bad your mother couldn't make it here with us, if so she could try and help you. You two constantly have girl to girl talks as if I don't even exist," your dad faked-cried as he spoke.

You giggled, "Dad, please. It's nothing, don't worry."

Your dad tapped his fingers on the steering wheel in thought, thinking of something to say to make you state just one little detail about what on Earth is going on inside your head. He started up the car, giving up on his thought process, "Alright."

________________________________

"Good night, Dad."

Your dad gave you a confused look, "So soon? It's only 9:00!"

"Yeah, it's just..." you looked away from your father as you spoke, "I'm really tired. School today wore me out." You gave your father a big hug, he returned the hug with a tight squeeze.

"Okay, sweetie." he kissed your forehead and let you go. You gave him a bright, reassuring smile. A real one this time. You turned and headed to your room. Now inside your room that kept you isolated and secure from the world around you, you slowly made your way to your bed. You sat down. Your lips began to tremble.

Of course. Of course he wouldn't want me...

You inhaled sharply and buried your face in your hands as if you were in pain. But you were, mentally. Emotionally. Emotionally....

Heartbroken.

The recording of Yami's unmistakable voice looped in your mind like a broken record. You lied on your stomach, face planted into your pillows, and sobbed uncontrollably.

He's...he's too good for me. He said it himself, he's wasting his time being with me. He could find someone prettier, smarter, and overall better than I could ever be. It's no wonder he never asked me to the dance...

You sniffled, wiped your tear-soaked face, and glanced down at your legendary bracelet, the gold shining as bright as new. You took it off of your wrist and set it down in front of you.

"After all we've been through..." you cried, "I thought he appreciated me...as much as I appreciated him for being in my life..."

"Don't let go."