4. Poe

I don't believe it! He isn't even going to talk? It is his book and his thoughts.

Me? Ms Samuels is glaring at me? When that jerk is sleeping!

"Yes ma'am. We decided to do 1984 by George Orwell. He, well , um we believe that some of the um ideas that are in the book represent what our culture is going through today.” Whoosh. Done.

"Very good, Poe, Tripp.” She said calmly not even bothering to wake him up. She is probably afraid of him too.

"By the end of the week I would like a progress report. I need at least half the book read and an outline of what has happened in the book so far. Make sure this work is shared. I don't want it lopsided showing off only one person's insights, thoughts and perspectives.” Ms Samuels scowled.

At that little speech the bell rang. I turned to look at my sleeping partner but he was already gone. Argh! How am I suppose to do this with someone so uncaring? I tried to find him after each bell, no such luck. Then it was lunch. I sat with my usual crew. My bff Lanie Willis. Head of cheer. Thick blonde (real) hair that falls in waves I can only dream of as my hair is pretty much stick straight and dark brown with some blonde (fake) hi-lites going through it. Her boyfriend of 2 years sits across from her. His name is Bruce Douglas. He is the “all-American” boy. Ever since Lanie and I have been friends from fourth grade when she moved here all she ever wanted was the “perfect life”, with an “All-American” boy. You know the little house, 2.4 kids and a white picket fence. All his jock friends sat at the table with us. The only reason why I am “allowed” to sit there is because of Lanie. Otherwise, I would be at a “lower class” table. Which brings me back to Tripp. I don't see him anywhere inside so he either ditched lunch or he is outside hanging out with the burn out kids, well the few this high school has.

They go out the rear exit door and walk up the hill behind the school where there are a lot of trees. Kind of like a forest setting. No one even cares about them. So they let em do what they want during lunch. The only real trouble comes if a fire or a fight breaks out. Otherwise all is cool for them. It is the rest of us that have to suffer.

Maybe I should go out back and see if he is there. The thought petrifies me. I've never been up there and never had the desire to go. But, it seems to be my only option as of right now. Maybe I'll take Lanie out with me... Yeah sure, she would never go. One step in the woods would cause her ridicule through out the inside workings of the school. I will manage it on my own. Yes. I will just walk right up peek and see if he is even there and then ask him what his problem is. Sure I will. I let out a long sigh. I know I am a complete chicken.

Idea! Maybe someone knows his phone number... I walk around the cafe and ask a bunch of skeezy looking people if they know it. I guess not - since all I manage out of most of them were just grunts and “No's” in various tones of annoyance.