26. Poe

I want to thank everyone for comments and fanning!

I can't believe he left me here. It has been a day and a half and I haven't seen him at all. And I am freaking out because my body just isn't working right. I have no way of getting high or even going to stay with someone. I feel the need to go running down the street and trying to find some drugs but my body won't allow me to do much of anything right now. I guess this is withdrawal... But...

I. WANT. A. BAG. SO. BAD. Or two or three....

Everything aches. My muscles. My bones. I never knew bones could get excruciating pain in them. Joints yes, like people with arthritis, but not the actual bone. I can barely stand up. I had to get myself up earlier because I was absolutely freezing. My teeth were chattering and my hands were shaking so bad. But I needed to find blankets. Lots and lots of blankets. I found four, but it really wasn't enough to help much.

I can't take it. I am anxious and fidgety and feel the need to try and help muself. I start going through everything in his house. He must have left some money somewhere or forgot a bag or something. I am going through his tiny place ripping everything to shreds. I gather my strength and lift up mattresses and turnover lamps. I even smashed a few items that sounded like they were completely hollow. NOTHING! That bastard!

I sat on the floor since everything was overturned. I started to get cold sweats. I don't mean just a little perspiration from a jog in the park, I mean dripping down my face, my back, my front, in between my legs!! Within minutes my blankets were drenched and I was shivering so badly I ended up getting sick all over the floor.

Oh God, how long does this last for? When is he coming back?

I decided to climb into to the tub and take a steaming hot bath. I stripped off my drenched clothes and slowly entered the heat of the tub. It felt like heaven for a minute or two. I laid back and closed my eyes to rest. Then I got a sinking feeling. My flesh was creeping over my bones. The once relaxing hot water was now making my skin crawl and I felt it necessary to try and get it off me. I got out of the tub as quick as I could manage and started tearing at my skin. I noticed blood underneath my nails and my damn teeth chattering again. I grabbed all the towels as I could manage and wrapped them around my shivering body and fell onto the cold hard tile of the bathroom floor. I am a complete and utter mess...

I finally must have passed out. But, it wasn't for that long because my hair was still damp when I jumped up from my uncomfortable position on the freezing surface I was laying on.  I crawled my way to Tripp's room and found a heavy sweater, one of his sweatshirts, 3 pairs of my sweat pants and and couple pairs of heavy socks. I needed to get out of here. I need help. I feel like I am going to die.

I call a helpline to get a number for a rehab. Then I call the only person I can think of to help me.

"Hello."

"I need help, Lanie," I cry desperately into the phone.

"What's wrong Poe? You sound awful," she states.

"I need you to get me and bring me somewhere. I need you here fast." I manage to utter while I am convulsing from being so cold.

"What's wrong?" She demanded.

"Please come to his house and get me and I will tell you everything, I promise, Lanie, please. Please?" I plead. After a minute of silence she finally agrees and starts to head over here.

What do I tell her? The truth? Make up a lie? There is no denying I look awful. My hair is stringy, I am so pale I am almost see thru. My once bright eyes are dulled and dilated. And my body is in such affliction it makes it quite difficult to walk in a normal manner.

I hear Lanie pull into the crumbling driveway and honk to let me know she is here. I throw on my coat, which is a bit tight from the sweater and sweatshirt, but I don't care. I try to walk in a customary fashion, but every few steps my legs give out on me. and I almost crumble to the ground. Lanie sees this and runs out of the car to help me into the passenger's side.

"Oh my..." She trails off, in utter shock of seeing me up close. "What's wrong with your face, Poe?" she asks staring at my pocked mark face. At the time I had no answer for her. But later I found out why my skin was so broken out and disgusting. The poisons of the drug were building up in my body and basically needed an escape route, so a lot of acne develops all over a junkie's body.

"Please," I groan, "will you get my seat belt on and take me into Boston, to Children's Hospital, um 300 Longwood Ave." I croak out. She nods and moves around me to get my belt on me then punches the address into the GPS. Before she takes off she asks, "What is wrong with you?"

I start shivering again and Lanie puts the heat on. I decided to tell her the truth. How I met Tripp, the project we were suppose to do, his 'advances', and then the drugs...

I think we almost crashed. Twice.

Lanie was so shocked she wasn't able to speak for a while. "Why are we going all the way into Boston, Poe? Isn't there a hospital closer? She asks, somewhat irritated. Which is understandable after finding out her best friend basically did drugs and stole from her.

"Yeah. But the woman on the helpline told me that the place at Children's is one of the best rehabs here. And since I am still considered a child it would be in my best interest to go there." I squeak out, scratching at my flesh again. This time no blood was spilled, since my many layers protected my inflamed skin.

As soon as Lanie pulls into the guest parking lot I start to have doubts.