10. Poe

I looked up as the bell was ringing and saw Tripp glide over to his seat. He didn't seem to have the same demeanor as yesterday. He seemed calmer almost in a trance like state. The closer he got to his seat the better I could see his eyes. Instead of the intense emerald eyes that glistened, his pupils were huge with a slight ring of emerald around the pools of onyx. I leaned as far away from him as possible and tried not to look terrified. I really had no reason to worry, Tripp never even glanced in my direction for the entire class. Just kind of stared above Ms Samuels head. Maybe he was tired? I don't know. He just looked weird and freaked me out even more now then when we talked yesterday. Right before the bell rang he glanced over my way and just kind of nodded to me. As if everything was fine and dandy. What is wrong with him?

As the bell for lunch rang I could hear a bunch of kids yelling. So I went over and tried to see what was happening. As I got closer I saw Tripp, his piercing eyes blazing with fury, ready to lunge at one of the jocks. I think his name was Keith or Kurt. I can't remember, they all look the same to me. For some reason, perhaps a lapse in sanity struck me at that moment, I screamed out his name. Bad move on my part because he turned his head to see who screamed out his name and Keith/Kevin swung at him and hit him square in the gut and Tripp keeled over. Oh my God! It was my fault he got hit. Argh. I should be exhilarated someone punched him after what he put me through yesterday. But I wasn't glad. Not in the slightest bit. Before I thought about what I was doing I shoved people away to get into the middle of the group. I clutched his arm and pulled him out of the circle. He still looked like he was in some pain but he managed to stand upright and I just tugged him along until we got to the forest area outside. No one was there yet, so I started talking in a rushed fashion.

"I am so sorry I distracted you. What happened? Why were you fighting? Are you okay?" Tripp is just looking at me with a lopsided grin. He probably thinks I am nuts. In all likelihood, I must be off my rocker after yesterday's encounter. "Tripp? Tripp?" I asked trying to see if he was okay.

"Why'd you pull me out of there?" he inquired with a roar.

"Be.. because," I stuttered, "It was my fault you got hit. And I did not want to see you get smacked around by that mongoloid." I gave him a small smile. "What happened? Why were you guys fighting?"

"I doubt you would really want to know." was his reply.

"What does that mean?" I demanded.

He took notice of me then and simply said, "Drugs."

"What do you mean drugs?"

"I mean the dude is a dealer, a sh*t one at that, and he sold me a bag of dope that was completely stomped on," he simply replied.

"Stomped on?" I questioned.

"Yeah," he smirked at me. "The dude put all sorts of sh*t in the bag to make it look like a good size, but when I did it nothing happened. So, he screwed me. I wasted twenty bucks and I wanted my money back." He spat out.

I was so shocked that he could be so nonchalant about talking about drugs. "I didn't realize Kevin/Keith sold. I can't remember his name," I added quickly.

"Yeah you would be surprised what some of your so-called friends do. It sucks cause I got 2 bags yesterday from a friend of mine and she told me who she gets it from so I figure he'd do me good, since I was a friend of a friend, you know?" he sneered. "But since no one at this f*ck*ng school likes me Mr. Practical Joker thought it'd be hilarious just to screw with me and give me crap. He messed with the wrong son of a bitch. I will get him back, mark my words, little girl." he articulated with venom coming out of his pores. "So," he continued in a lighter demeanor, looking me right into my eyes, "Wanna smoke a joint with me?"

Wait? What?? Did he just ask me to do drugs? What makes him think I would even consider this?

I flat out said no.

"Suit yourself, little girl." And with that he took out a joint, lit it and started smoking. After a few hits he waved the joint in front of me, daring me to try it. I quickly turned on my heel and bolted out of the forest and into the bathroom to calm down. My heart was beating so fast. Just the way he looked at me, taunting me, made my pulse race. What in the world is wrong with me? I should be surrounded by my friends, eating lunch, laughing and kidding around. Not in the girl's bathroom thinking about a junkie loser and how he stares at me.