32. Tripp

I am so so so sorry for my slow update. I promise I will update again sooner than this. I apologize sincerely and would like any comments you have! 

Blackness surrounds me. I hear noises once in a while and sometimes I hear voices. What the f*ck is going on I think. I can't open my eyes and I can't even feel myself. I want to move my arm but I can't even begin to figure out how to do it. Where am I? Am I dead? In hell? I need to remember. Heroin. I do heroin. Poe. She is sort of my girlfriend even though nothing has ever been said out loud. Did I overdose? Maybe she killed me? Ugh. Blackness envelops me once again...

***

Suddenly I can feel something in my nose. It feels hard and very weird. I feel it going down my throat now too. My body feels heavy and I can feel something pinching into the top of my left hand. As I lay motionless I start to hear a girl's voice. It keeps saying, "Please be okay. Please be okay." Over and over again. I try to open my mouth but it won't move. Then I realize that I am no longer surrounded by complete and utter darkness. I see a glow through my eyelids. I will my brain to open them. 'Open your eyes. Open your eyes.' I keeping yelling to my brain. I feel my lids flutter for a moment as bright white light blinds me for a second until I close them once again.

I hear the girl yelling, "Doctor! Doctor! His eyes opened!" A minute or two later I hear heavy footsteps coming close to me. "That is a great sign," he sighs. "We just have to see if there are any complications from brain hyproxia such as memory loss or poor motor skills or poor judgment abilities. Also we are going to have to monitor him for pulmonary edema."

"What exactly does all that mean, Doctor," the girl asks.

"Brain hyproxia means that some oxygen was lost after drowning and edema is how much oxygen the lungs are getting. Right now the tubing in his nasal canal is helping him breathe. When he fully wakes up we will remove the nasal cannula - the tubing - and see how well his breathing is. I also checked his lungs and he has a bit of swelling so I am going to keep my eye on that and if the swelling doesn't go down soon I will prescribe him a preload reducer to get the swelling under control."

"Oh." The girl says.

Wait? What? Drowning? I drowned? What the hell? How the hell did I drown? I need to talk to someone. I just want to scream and have someone tell me what is going on!

***

I feel an odd sensation being pulled through my throat and nose. I wince. It finally feels like it is out. But now I can't seem to breathe all that well. I am wheezing and coughing. And a little foamy liquid drips out of my mouth. Oh man. I am going to die. I start sucking air into my lungs. Gasping a bit less each time my lungs fill. Finally the coughing stops. I am down to a little bit of wheezing. This I can handle. After I realize I can feel my body and my breathing is better I gradually open my eyes.

Everything is bright white for a while until my eyes got accustomed to the light. I see a doctor, he is tall and thin with gray hair that is buzzed quite short. He has a smile plastered on his face as he looks at me. Next to him is Poe. It feels like forever since I've seen her.

I try to talk but my throat is so scratchy and dry nothing comes out. She smiles a wide smile at me and tells me not to talk yet. She then asks me if I remember what happened. All I could do was shake my head no. The last thing I can really remember is getting to my house and looking for something. But the house was a complete and utter mess. I groan to myself just thinking what I am going to have to clean up when I get back home. I look down at my hand and Poe is holding my hand.