BW - 2

The day was breaking when the paramedics carried two body bags to the ambulance parked at the access to the beach, among police cruisers. The narrow strip of woods between the lawn and the lake had been taped off.

Guests had gathered near the ambulance, trading news in shocked whispers: the young couple from cabin five had been found dead at the tiny beach in the woods. Murdered, clarified those paying attention to what police officers said to each other.

Jason came back with the last update and nodded to Aidan, who talked with a deputy by the yellow tape.

"Looks like he found them and called 911."

Alex studied Aidan. How come he'd found them? Chance? Well, he surely was one hot fool, but that didn't mean he was a killer.

"I could use a coffee," she said, nodding to her cabin.

She purposely ignored Claire's questioning glance and turned around. The girl caught up with her two steps later. Dammit. Of course Claire had sensed her lie.

Alex would've liked to believe in coincidences. But even if she did, what were the odds that Claire's pendant had spontaneously turned into a burning ember at the exact moment when the couple was being murdered?

She needed to find out what had really happened, in case it meant any kind of threat to her niece. So she needed to see the little beach before the police messed it up. Dammit. There was no way to get rid of Claire. She'd have to take the girl along with her. And surely regret it for the rest of her life.

Well, boohoo. No time to whine.

She glanced back from over her shoulder and tugged at Claire's sleeve. The girl nodded, ready to follow her. A heartbeat later they sneaked out of sight, past the yellow tape. Alex headed straight to the little beach with Claire on her heels.

"Why d'you wanna see the place where they died?"

Shit! Empathy wasn't enough? Now Claire was a telepath too? She didn't want to answer, but that would only feed Claire's curiosity. She would drive Alex nuts until she got what she wanted.

"I've got a bad feeling about it," Alex replied curtly.

"Hey, that's my line." Since her little joke didn't work, Claire asked, "You think it's got something to do with my pendant burning?"

Alex set her jaw to swallow a curse and shrugged, pressing on toward the lake.

"Maybe Frank's tale is true after all," Claire said behind her.

Alex frowned. "What tale?"

"That about a ghost killing couples by the lake. He told it two nights ago."

"That sounds like a serial killer trying to set an alibi."

"And you say I've got an imagination."

"It makes more sense than Psycho Casper."

"And what about my pendant? Nancy's was exactly the same."

Alex halted and spun around, glaring at the girl. Claire raised her eyebrows. She was too used to her aunt's full-out Corban scowl to feel the least bit intimidated.

"She even bought it from the same old lady at the flea market," she added.

Alex turned her back to Claire and resumed walking, grinding her teeth. She would've loved to tell the girl that coincidences did exist, ghosts didn't, and scary tales was just a boys' trick to impress girls.

Bad luck they knew better.

Claire grabbed her arm and pointed to their right.

"Look! Footsteps!"

They were leaning forward to take a better look when Mark came out from the thicket, heading for the little beach too. He stopped short, right before stumbling on them.

"Mark! What're you doing here?" asked Alex surprised.

The boy tried to answer, but his brother cut him off from behind the Corbans. "What're you doing here. Didn't you guys see the do-not-cross tape back there?"

Alex looked him up and down as if he were a weird bug. "And who made you boss, huh?"

"It's a crime scene. You ain't got nothing to do here."

"Crime-? Please! Shut the CSI up!"

"Oh, well, a smart chick."

"Smart enough to wonder how come you of all people found them. Were you lurking around, peeping on the best part of the party?"

Aidan was about to retort when Claire's scream made Alex forget about everything else. She found her niece at the little beach, pretty much in Mark's arms, hiding her face against his chest. Alex looked around and saw the pool of blood under a big old tree. She rubbed Claire's back gently.

"Easy, kiddo, it's okay," she said in a warm, soothing way. "Why don't you go back to the cabin? I'll be there in a minute."

She met Mark's eyes. The boy nodded and led Claire back into the woods, brushing past Aidan, who gave them way and joined Alex by the lake, shaking his head slightly.

"People died here. What was she expecting? Fucking Mickey Mouse?"

Alex snorted, sick and tired of him. "Dude! Why don't you-?"

She trailed off, her mind finally registering something she'd hardly glanced at.

Aidan didn't hide his curiosity when she took three hesitant steps to stand right before the blood, her back to the lake.

Alex gasped, a cold chill running down her spine. Because there on the tree, painted in blood, was the symbol from Claire's pendant.

"D'you know that symbol?"

She ignored Aidan's question and brushed past him, hurrying into the woods. On her way to her cabin, she could only wish that'd been the work of some psycho. Old Bootter had taught her enough to know the worst psychopath would be safer than the kind of supernatural event she suspected. But what she'd learned was also enough to connect the dots, and understand her hope for a human criminal was only that-a hope. And most likely a vain one.