30

Everybody in Bold Peak took a moment to drop by and congratulate the Corbans on the opening of Lucky Charm, the first bookstore in town in the last fifteen years.

Alex and Claire had battled for weeks over the store's name, especially after Claire came up with one of the books Alex had brought from Montana. Yeah, the Butterfly was a nice design, but Alex didn't want to have it before her eyes all day, every day, reminding her of Aidan. But when she failed to find a better name—any other name—she had no choice but conceding victory. So there it was, Montana's good old hippie, cheesy Butterfly, painted on the door, the window shop, and soon on the wooden sign Pete McKayne's son was carving for them.

"I'm so getting rid of it any given day," she grunted.

"Yeah, yeah, anytime," Claire replied.

Charlotte Seagan's restored table sat in the middle of the store, covered with a pretty white cloth and as harmless as a table. It didn't hold books on special sale yet. On its first day on duty, it was full of snacks and pies people kept bringing. By six, there wasn't room left for any more dishes, just like there were no spare corners for plants and flower pots under the cloud of merry colored balloons.

Stu's ale worked magic when it came to bonding people together, and no one could resist the combination with good music. The Corbans' friends had no choice but lingering to toast way more than twice. Everybody laughed out when Bass told the tale of the psycho in the woods and how an angry Corban was scarier than a pack of wolves.

Claire still tried to catch her breath after laughing so hard, when she saw George and Markus come in with a stranger. The man was in his mid-fifties, elegant city bred, oozing style and money. His cold blue eyes met the girl's for a heartbeat. She almost choked, her throat squeezed by something opposite to laughter. But Ollie talked to her, catching her attention before she could even wonder about what she'd just felt.

Felicity had crawled up her way into Alex arms while she talked with Kat, Olson and Father Jason. She saw George coming to her and she hurried to deliver the child back to her mother's arms, excuse herself and hurry to welcome him.

It'd been hardly two weeks since she'd last seen George, but so many things had happened that they felt like months. She was happy to see him again. And she was happier because he'd left their last conversation aside to show up on that special day for her—which she owed to only him.

George could only mirror her warm smile when she reached her side.

"Hey, Al! Congrats!" he said. "You guys did a hell of a job with Peg's store!"

"Hell yeah!" said Markus, cheerful as usual. "The place looks great!"

Alex poked Markus' arm. "Shut up. You only say that because of that blond chick over there."

"Busted!" Markus turned to the stranger. "I'll be right back," he said, and left them to go meet Alice.

George looked at the man, who flashed a charming smile at Alex.

"Al," George said. "Let me introduce you to the main investor for my touristic project, Mr. Ian Blake."

Alex shook the stranger's hand. "Oh, you're Markus' friend from Chicago," she said. "Nice to have you in Bold Peak, Mr. Blake. And let me tell you, you're doing right, trusting George's view."

"I agree," Ian Blake replied, polite and confident. "Congratulations on your opening, Miss Corban. George tells me it's an old dream of yours coming true."

"You bet it is, sir. And I owe it only to him."

George was as happy as surprised at her praises, and he smiled wider at every of Alex's words. But her phone buzzed before he could say or do anything.

She checked the caller. "Excuse me, but I have to take this," she said. "Please, George, would you see that Mr. Blake tries our local treat?"

"Sure."

His eyes fell on Alex's phone and he read the blinking 'Tom'.

"Excuse me," she repeated, and headed out. She couldn't help feeling bad for George. She'd seen his face darken when he read the name of the caller. He had no idea who it might be, which maybe was worse—a man he didn't know was no one he wanted around her. She repeated to herself there was nothing she could do about it. She was no one's property, and George would have to learn to deal with it.

Her heart raced when she picked up, and tried to sound casual and normal.

"Mr. Sutton," she said.

"Alex," Tom replied, polite but distant. "You called me earlier."

"Yeah, nothing important. Just checking if you'd left a real number."

"Why would I leave a fake one?"

He was so serious, it made her scoff. Too long chasing goblins alone in the wild. "I was kidding, Tom."

"Oh. Sorry. Not good at jokes, you know."

"Yeah, I know. Have you seen your son?"

"I'm waiting for him to come out of school."

Alex was about to speak when she had the odd feeling of being watched. She glanced back at the store and found George staring at her, oblivious to Markus and Ian Blake. He wasn't smiling anymore. And there was something weird about the intensity of his eyes fixed on her.

She turned her back to the store and registered the noise of children on the other end of the line. Tom had to go. She tried to come up with something memorable to say. At least something smart.

"Thanks for calling back." She was such an A-class loser.

"Sure. Call me anytime. Or if you ever need any kind of help."

Clever move. He'd just lit up an 'available' sign and kicked the ball to her field, leaving the next move up to her.

"I will," she replied. "Enjoy these days with Samuel."

"Take care, Alex."

She disconnected with a heartfelt sigh. Stu's rough voice calling her out reached her on the sidewalk. She wore her best smile and headed back to the store. Her eyes fell on the Butterfly and her smile widened. It had nothing to do with Aidan. It was the name of the store. Her store.

.

.

Keep reading the next episode: The Guardian - GoM 1x06