20

Alex opened her eyes with a jolt, expecting to hear the howls behind, the freezing rain, the twigs lashing her face. Instead, sunlight blinded her, coming from an unexpected window in an unknown room. Her heart still raced after that frantic escape through the woods with Tom. But she was lying in a hospital bed. Alone.

Claire was in the tiny toilet, filling a flowers vase with fresh water, when she suddenly felt she was no longer alone in the hospital room. Alex's confusion reached her loud and clear. The girl hurried back into the room and almost dropped the vase when she saw Alex fully awake out of the blue. Her aunt glanced around with blurry eyes, trying to understand where she was.

Claire took the flowers to the table and turned to the bed, in time to see Alex sniff and frown. The girl felt like laughing out loud in her aunt's face when Alex spotted the chocolate bar on the nightstand, inches away from her pillow.

"Morning, Al!" Claire said with a bright grin.

Alex faced her with a weary smile and cleared her throat. "Hey, kiddo..."

She glanced at the chocolate. Nothing else seemed to matter.

Claire faked a casual tone. "Oh, that. Tom brought it for you."

Speaking hurt, but Alex wasn't about to give a damn after hearing her niece. "Tom...? Here...?"

"All night, last night. Your loss."

"You... you called... him?"

"Actually, he called you. Guess he fancied a little action. Poor thing. You can be such a letdown sometimes."

Claire giggled at Alex's face. The girl helped her to drink a sip of water and caressed her hair with a warm smile.

"I'm kidding, you moron. He came as soon as I told him what happened. I thought he was going to kill me 'cause I didn't call'im on day one. And he must've broken every speed limit on his way here, 'cause he drove all the way from Newhalem in under an hour. He had to leave early in the morning to be in time to work. He'll be expecting your call."

Alex couldn't register every word of Claire's merry chatter, but it didn't matter. Alex couldn't look away from her. And it was like seeing her for the first time in ages. Father Jason was right: Claire was already a woman. When did it happen? When did her little girl grow up so much? She couldn't tell. But the love between them hadn't changed. It was there, alive, real. She could feel it. And it was such an effective support in hard times. The best reason to wake up.

She took Claire's hand and kept her eyes down. "I heard you, y'know? Every single time you called me... I wanted so bad to answer... and come back. But I... I couldn't... No matter how hard I tried, I just..."

Alex trailed off and Claire waited for her to look up and meet her eyes.

"That's why I asked Tom to come." Claire smiled wider at Alex's surprise. "I know you would hear'im too. And there's this strength in him, y'know? The strength to reach you and help you come back. A strength I don't have..." She winked at Alex. "Yet."

She meant to say something more, but she sensed the emotions overwhelming Alex. It was that fierce, bulletproof love Claire knew so well, flooded now with such a pride and gratitude as the girl had never sensed before.

They looked at each other with tears in their eyes. The tubes and wires wouldn't let them hug, so Claire caressed Alex's hair once more and put the chocolate bar in her hand.

"Here. I think you've earned it. Now try to get some rest."

Lorrigan knocked and came in then. And hearing him greet Alex attracted Graham and Father Jason. A moment later George followed them in, and Ollie, and Bass with Jack, and Markus, Alice, Sandy.

The Corbans traded a smile. Get some rest. Yeah. Anytime.

.

.

Keep reading the Arc Finale: Moonflower - GoM 1x07