26

Claire had the Hilux ready to go, and was surprised to see Alex climb in the passenger seat. Alex stretched her legs with a weary sigh and closed her eyes. She didn't even mention the Black Parade album playing. Wet, dirty in mud, her face scratched by twigs, she looked closer to passing out than to falling asleep.

The girl changed the music to Daughtry. The first riff pursed Alex's lips. Claire geared in and reversed to take the detour out of the campground.

Back home, Claire commanded Alex to the shower. The girl was about to check whether she'd fallen asleep in the bathroom when Alex showed up at the kitchen, wrapped up in her old comfy bathrobe, her dark hair dripping on her shoulders. Claire gave her an herbs tea and she smelled the mug.

"Speedwell. You wanna keep me quiet."

She could almost hear Tom's voice and she smiled at the memory. Such a silly, trivial memory.

Claire didn't see her smile, because she was taking good care of Alex's trashed clothes. She came out of the laundry into the kitchen, flannel in hand.

"Whose is this?"

Alex frowned at the question, struggling to stay awake and finish her tea."

"Oh, that's Tom's."

Claire narrowed her eyes. "You were wearing Tom's flannel."

Alex tried her best to play along. "Listen, young lady: saving my ass doesn't give you the right to poke into my extracurricular activities, got it?"

Claire grinned. She was afraid things would never be the same. That what had happened with the ertes had opened an unbridgeable breach between them. So Alex's words meant so much. She raised her eyebrows with her best smartass face.

"Ha. Thought so."

"You think? Who knew."

Both of them enjoyed so much playing their usual parts. It was restoring at such a deep level.

"I know you. You didn't lose your pants in the woods over Tom. But bet you have a hell of a tale to tell about the last couple of days."

"Go figure."

Claire chuckled, going back to the laundry. Alex strolled out of the kitchen with her mug.

"Night, kiddo."

"Night, Al."