12

Claire got dressed still feeling a little unsettled. The mild heartburn wouldn't give up. But the weird part was that feeling like anxiety upsetting her, as if she were expecting something—she had no idea what.

The front door opening and the voices from the living room distracted her, and she headed there with a smile.

Samuel hurried by her on his way to her room. "Morning, Claire!"

Tom waved at her on his way to the bathroom. Well, looked like 'playing happy Sutton family' didn't go so bad. She found Alex adding the book with the letter to the other Bootter's book on the shelf.

"Just stuff," Alex said, replying to Claire's questioning nod at it. "You ready? We're having lunch at the fair. And we're picking up Kat and Fel, so Samuel's not the only child around."

"I can go grab them."

Alex narrowed her eyes to watch the girl take the car keys. "I'm not sure I want you spending so much time alone with my baby."

"Suck it up. She and I? We go great together. Want me to take Samuel with me?"

The boy was back in the living room, in time to hear the question but never guessing its actual intention.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"To pick Fel up," Claire replied. "Wanna come?"

Samuel turned to the hall to shout, "See ya later, Dad!" And he sprinted out the front door.

Claire winked at Alex. "See you guys at the food lane in... and hour? Two?" She hurried out before Alex could reply.

Tom came back from the bathroom and looked around. "Where...?"

Alex pointed at the door with a guilty grimace. Through the window, Tom saw Samuel climbing to the Hilux backseat.

"He'll be fine," Alex said. "Claire's gonna take good care of him. And we're meeting them in ten..."

She trailed off when Tom smiled at her clumsy excuses and they chuckled together. He stopped her from opening the front door. Alex felt a chill at meeting his eyes, so clear in the sunlight filling the room. Tom caressed her cheek.

"Thanks for taking us with you today. I can tell how much the place means to you."

She had a chance to nod before he kissed her.

"Son... parade..." she mumbled.

Tom nodded, smiling, and opened the door.