19

The Black Parade album grew thinner at each replay, while Claire read from Old Bootter's books, having coffee after coffee, taking notes now and them. She'd found a good description of garthlings and she didn't like it. At all.

Lucky her, it wasn't only a description. Just like other chapters in that book, it also included information about the creatures' weaknesses, ways to fight them, seal them, kill them and even summon and subdue them if needed.

Going to Nancy's the day before had been a good call, because the book offered a couple of ways to fight garthling and now she had all the elements she needed.

A chill ran down her spine. If the book was correct—and there was no reason to think it wasn't... Claire checked a calendar on her computer and jumped to her feet, her phone to her ear. She spoke as she set ingredients apart.

"Bass? It's Claire Corban. Where are you?" She tossed the jars into a crate. "Listen to me: Al's in danger as we speak," she said, grabbing the book and the crate. "Call your buddies and go to Jeff's." She hurried across the living room and grabbed her rain jacket on her way to the front door. "Great. Meet you there."

The Hilux rocketed down Main Street in the pouring rain, My Chemical Romance waking people up as it drove by. Claire hit the gas when she turned onto the road by the lake. She'd be damned if she let that nasty thing get to her aunt.