24

Alex stumbled onto Tom, who stood right outside the tent. Only a pale glow came out of it through the open rainfly, but it was enough to reflect on several pairs of eyes five steps away. Tom's arm pushed her behind him. His low voice sounded surreally controlled in the storm, the darkness, the threat of the pack surrounding them.

"Get you jacket. Leave everything else behind."

"You nuts? They'll hunt us down as soon as we—"

"Alex..."

"Okay, okay."

She did as he said and joined him back in a heartbeat. He reached out for her hand and grabbed it tight.

"Ready?"

Fear squeezed Alex's throat, so her answer was pressing his hand. He'd take it as a yes, even though her knees were trembling.

Tom cocked the Magnum and aimed at the garthling's red-glowing eyes, the moved the barrel but an inch. Shooting and sprinting away was all one, and Alex hardly kept her balance when he dragged her along. A loud howl of anger and pain filled the woods.

Later on, Alex would still wonder how she survived that frantic race through the forest. It seemed like Tom didn't need a flashlight to follow the trail, and he guided her down the hill as fast as she could go. They heard the wolves close behind at all time, but the beasts never caught up with them. The alpha had a wounded leg, and maybe the pack didn't want to leave it behind on their chase—or maybe the garthling wouldn't allow them to.

Tom shot directions as they went. "Duck," or, "jump," or, "left," so Alex wouldn't trip and fall.

Rain blinded her, twigs slashed her, and she was surprised to find firm ground under her feet at every step, all the time expecting to end up with her face in the mud and a broken leg. The firm grip of Tom's hand was the only thing that kept her going in that insane night, out of breath, fear and exhaustion burning her chest.

They jumped into the White and struggled in the murmuring current, up to their knees in icy waters. They reached the other bank, climbed out of the stream and ran into the woods again. Soon they got to the main hiking trail leading straight to the Forest Station, broader and easier to follow. A few minutes later they spotted lights ahead through the trees. Alex had never been so relived at seeing Jeff's cabin.

A hundred yards away from the cabin, four shadows came out of the forest and cut off their way abruptly, blinding them with their frontal torches.

"RUN!" a man shouted, a long rifle to his face.

Alex recognized Bass' voice and pushed Tom to keep going. They ran past the hunters, halted some yards away and hurried back to them. They stood blocking the trail, infra-green scopes on their rifles. They all held their breath as the pack came closer, until the wolves showed up. Four shots caused as many howls of pain.

"Don't kill the alpha!" Tom yelled.

Alex clung from his arm to stop him when he tried to run to the wolves. He spun around, mad at her.

"It's no use! It'll take another wolf!"

Alex didn't let go of his arm and nodded ahead. Only two wolves remained alive: the alpha and the collared female.

Bass turned to Tom and handed him the rifle with a quick smile. "All yours, Tom. Corban's special shell to seal the thing inside the wolf—that's what Claire said."

Tom hesitated, not sure he understood, but the garthling was about to run away. He grabbed the rifle, took aim and shot. The shell hit the alpha's side. The wolf staggered and fled into the woods, the female following up close.

"That'll do," said Bass. "C'mon, let's go back to Jeff's. Claire's waiting there. She'll explain it all to you."

The hunters took the lead down the trail. Tom lingered looking at the dead wolves. Alex waited for him to join her and go after her friends.