19

Night fell as it did over the last days, with an exasperating lack of hurry. It made Claire feel as if her life was suspended in some kind of limbo. No past, no future. Only this endless waiting for Alex to open her eyes.

The girl looked up at the door, a little smile pursing her lips, and leaned toward Alex.

"That's it, Al. Your time's up. I know you're gonna hate my guts for letting him see you like this, but you left me no choice. So you know how it rolls: suck it up or do something about it. You've got about ten seconds."

Ten seconds later Tom knocked on the door and walked in.

Claire smiled at him and noticed he stepped closer cautiously, controlling his shock at seeing Alex like that.

"It's not as bad as it looks," the girl said.

Tom didn't look up at her to ask, "How long?"

"Five days."

No need to voice the 'and only now you called me'. It floated between them like a little storm cloud. Silence pooled while Tom observed Alex, his hand on her wrist as if to check the heart rate monitor was right. Then he turned to study Claire.

"And how long since you've last been home?"

"Oh, I go every morning to..." She trailed off and shrugged. "Six days?"

"Go. I'm staying."

Claire swallowed a smile. She even pretended to hesitate before picking up her stuff. Tom glanced at her when she paused at the door.

"I have Al's phone, in case..."

"Of course."

Tom waited to be alone to close and lock the door. Back to Alex's bedside, he rested a hand on her forehead and closed his eyes. He opened them again a whole minute later, a worried frown furrowing his brow.

"What the hell have you done," he muttered.

He produced his phone and dialed, pulling a chair to sit by the bed, his hand covering Alex's.

"Claire, I need you to tell me exactly what happened."

His face darkened as he listened. When he disconnected, he took a moment to let go of how mad he was at Alex's reckless decision. Then he rested his hand on her forehead again, her hand in his, and lowered his head to close his eyes, all of his senses focused on her.

"I know you can hear me," he whispered.

He kept talking to Alex, but no sound came out of his mouth.

"Remember the night the wolves attacked. This is the same. We're gonna let the darkness and the danger behind, together. Remember how you took my hand and trusted me to show you the way..."